• Register Today It's free!

Help with issue in rear

davethegeek

Reaction score
City, State
Greer, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT 2w
I have a 2002 Explorer XLT 2wd and have an issue in the rear end. It is loud grinding sound coming from each rear wheel. The driver side is worse than the passenger side. I put the vehicle up on jacks and ran it in gear and could hear the grinding. The ABS light is also constantly on. I thought it was the rear bearings but now i have the hub assembly off and do not feel any grinding from either. I am going to go ahead and have the bearings pressed out and install the new hub and bearing.
I do have a couple questions though.
This is my first hub bearing repair so this is a little new.

When removing the hub assembly, i see that everyone needs a puller to remove it from the axle spindle. Mine just came out without any issue. Is this normal or is there other problems that I am unaware of?

Once the hub assembly is out is there supposed to be some inward/outward play in the axle. The whole axle is able to be pushed into and pulled out from the differential (but not all the way). Is this normal or is there further differential issues? The differential had a little hum in it for quite some time but not as bad as i hear most people discuss.

Thanks for any help all.

Dave The Geek.

I have a 2002 Explorer XLT 2wd and have an issue in the rear end. It is loud grinding sound coming from each rear wheel. The driver side is worse than the passenger side. I put the vehicle up on jacks and ran it in gear and could hear the grinding. The ABS light is also constantly on. I thought it was the rear bearings but now i have the hub assembly off and do not feel any grinding from either. I am going to go ahead and have the bearings pressed out and install the new hub and bearing.
I do have a couple questions though.
This is my first hub bearing repair so this is a little new.

When removing the hub assembly, i see that everyone needs a puller to remove it from the axle spindle. Mine just came out without any issue. Is this normal or is there other problems that I am unaware of?

Once the hub assembly is out is there supposed to be some inward/outward play in the axle. The whole axle is able to be pushed into and pulled out from the differential (but not all the way). Is this normal or is there further differential issues? The differential had a little hum in it for quite some time but not as bad as i hear most people discuss.

Thanks for any help all.

Dave The Geek.

being from south Carolina probably the axle spline part of the shaft probably would slide off with out any problem, if you were up north you probably would need a puller from the salt and snow. there should be play in the axle between the cv boots that is for axle articulating when the wheel goes up and down that axle needs to slide in and out. hope that helps

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure that there weren't any other issues before putting it all back together only to find out there were other issues and have to disassemble it all over again.

Thanks again
DTG

being from south Carolina probably the axle spline part of the shaft probably would slide off with out any problem, if you were up north you probably would need a puller from the salt and snow. there should be play in the axle between the cv boots that is for axle articulating when the wheel goes up and down that axle needs to slide in and out. hope that helps

Back