help with transmission/ torque converter ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help with transmission/ torque converter ???

Julio

Reaction score
Last weekend my sister borrowed my car and did a little damage. Her friend got stuck and she tried to help, but got the explorer stuck. She dosen't know anything about cars and just keep spinning the tires until they wouldn't spin any more. Now my car is a little messed up and she is going to pay to get it fixed. The transmission is doing some weird things, when pressed it sort of whines for a second then goes. My friend thinks it's the torque converter, is that a possibility or what else should I have checked out. Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have them look at the clutch plates too. It sounds like you may be looking at a rebuild and you will want to consider replacing them even if they look OK.

------------------
AgExplorer
95 XLT 4X2 4.0L OHV
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filters
NGK Platinum Plugs
Jacobs Electronics Wires

Julio:
My torque convertor went out (which soon caused the whole tranny to self-destruct)and I had the same sounds. It would spool up and then catch and anytime there was a load on the engine it would slip again. I drove it home like this and by then it had gotten much worse. I would suggest getting the tranny checked as soon as possible.

------------------
Brad Bottoms
92 XLT 4x4
My Philosophy is "Bigger is ALWAYS Better"

Julio- Transmissions are a pain in the u- know what. I am not sure what year your explorer you have, automatic or manual and the # of miles. Now does your exp. have problems w/ the get go from a stop sign or on the highway between the higher gears? See the torque converter just gets you from 4th gear to overdrive. It has nothing to do w/ the low gears. Send some more 411. I say all this because I just had some work on my AT done. I am pushing 100k miles
Rico-

It's a '91, with about 110,000 miles on it. It's an automatic. It seems to be a problem when I accelerate hard from about 20mph. The most noticable problem is from 2nd to 3rd gear, but it also feels a little weird on the top end. Thanks

Back