heres a new 1, rear windshield exploded.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

heres a new 1, rear windshield exploded..

shadowspar

Reaction score
City, State
tampa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 explorer sport xlt
wow, the rear windshield was really foggy so i turned on the electric defogger, within 10mins my windshield exploded...never heard of that happening. now ive got to replace the windshield. looked online at the catalog and it looked like they were charging like $750 for the rear windshield, looked at how much the front would cost and it said $150ish. Doesnt seem right to me, going to give them a call tomorrow to find out. anybody ever have this problem or have experience replacing windshields?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Happened to a friend of mine this winter with his car rear windshield. But this was in upstate NY and the windshield was cold and he turned on the defroster.

02-05 it was not as uncommon as it sounds. They are very very "delicate" in a sense. I was helping another Tech put one in at the dealership i used to work at and as he was tightening the second bolt to proper torque specs, he said you might want to back up. As soon as the torque wrench clicked, it exploded. The sad thing is, those glasses hat the painted piece on them as well, so they also have to be painted before they are installed.

only seen improperly done recalls break or lack of recall break, the mid 03 and up were updated never seen one shatter.

the 02-03 i seen some funny stuff with them.

only seen improperly done recalls break

Ill be sure and pass along to my friend that he has no idea what hes doing and needs to rethink his career choice.

Ill be sure and pass along to my friend that he has no idea what hes doing and needs to rethink his career choice.

its 02-03 ONLY

04-05 use a different bracket for the back glass. they dont break.

the 04-05 hinges still break from time to time, but they dont break like the 02-03.....

It's one of my pet peeves, always has been when someone calls the back window/rear glass/back door glass (etc), a "rear windshield". Windshield is the front, because it shields the wind ;)

It's one of my pet peeves, always has been when someone calls the back window/rear glass/back door glass (etc), a "rear windshield". Windshield is the front, because it shields the wind ;)

but but but cars have a reverse gear! it does get driven in it from time to time :p

the back one is also originally called a windshield, as that is what it was put there for.

it was only made out of glass later on so that people that couldn't drive could see to park, as the first cars didn't have glass back there, but fabric to keep the wind out,

only thing i call a windshield is whats made like one, 2 pieces of glass with a coat of plastic inside, all single pane glass, i consider them windows. and on ex, the rear window a hatch glass...

I would call a shattered rear window a PITA myself, and an expensive one at that.

True ^^. Windshield / Rear Windshield replacement are never cheap. Unless you get it from cannibalism or from a junk yard (which are very rare) Even OEM are just a bit lower in prices compared to FORD originals. Still pricey.

I recommend cannibalizing windshields from legal chop shops. Windshield <----- OEM windshields.

Back