Hesitation on Acceleration

timingchain

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Ranger 2.3L
But it's not so simple:
When stepping on the gas pedal, even without being in gear (manual trans) there is a delay/hesitation/stumble/hiccup that occurs in the engine. Once moving, the truck idles fine, drives fine, no misses or problems, although being a 2.3 liter, it is a little underpowered.

I have already:
  • replaced spark plugs, inspected wires.
  • replaced air/fuel/oil filters
  • replaced PCV valve
  • cleaned IAC, throttle body and MAF
  • checked for vacuum leaks

I tested the MAF on my digital voltmeter, which is when I realized the hesitation was occuring without being under load. There was a little jumping around of the voltages when the engine stumbled as I hit the throttle (kind of hard to tell with a digital meter, obviously) and I couldn't tell if the MAF was responding to or causing the hesitation, so I replaced the MAF--$100. It now drives exactly the same.

I tested the TPS, again with the digital voltmeter, it runs up in voltage very smoothly, no noticeable glitches at all--I did this with the engine off, if that makes a difference.

Now what? I would suspect fuel injectors, but it runs evenly under a load, like when accelerating up to highway speeds and all that, and that is where I would have expected a fuel delivery problem to show up.

Any ideas?

Back