Hi everyone, New Forum member here...1997 questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi everyone, New Forum member here...1997 questions

Jim Anderson

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT 4x4
I have a 97 XLT, 4.0 OHC , I've watched the videos on youtube explaining the timing chain issues on these, does anyone have any experience with this, the truck runs good for now, but I do hear some ratttling occasionally at idle, but I have not pinpointed it yet. It has 284.0000 miles of which about half are mine. Any info concerning the timing chains is appreciated. I'm also looking for cruise control buttons on the steering wheel and wondering if anyone still makes them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cruise controls buttons on ebay are your best bet, Can find some decent ones. That or the pickapart yard.

The 4.0L SOHC does indeed have problems with tensioners for its' timing chains (front & back). According to info I've read on these, it is important to replace the hydraulic tensioners every 100,000 miles or so (front & back). I've done mine years ago and could actually hear the difference... there was a lot less rattle at cold starts, for example.

The hydraulic tensioners are accessible from the outside of the engine and can be removed with a 27mm (I think?) long socket and a breaker bar. Be careful not to buy Taiwanese knock offs on eBay, only buy the original NOS Ford ones. I bought some cheap ones on eBay (Made in Taiwan) from a parts place in California and the front timing chain sounded like it was running loose - it made so much rattle I thought it was gonna come off! I had to put back the old tensioner, order the proper Ford-made part and swap it again. Only after putting the genuine part in there did it cure the rattle and restore quiet start ups. I tried contacting the eBay snake oil salesman to return the knock-off tensioners, but hit a brick wall (left them negative feedback as a result, for whatever good that would do). Lesson learned!

There apparently was an internal issue with tensioners also, where Ford in their infinite wisdom put plastic tensioner parts on the chain itself initially (then changed them to metal ones via a service bulletin or what not - wasn't a recall though, unfortunately). That is a lot harder to do and, for the rear one, requires removal of the engine from the truck. Hopefully all you need is to change the external hydraulic tensioners and you'll be good to go.

Good luck!

P.S. Also, I don't know about others' opinions, but I am a firm believer that a good quality fully synthetic motor oil does miracles for this engine and its' timing chains. For one, the hydraulic tensioners need motor oil (oil pressure) to work properly, so a good runny oil is best... especially in colder climates like ours out here (Canada)! ;)

The 4.0L SOHC does indeed have problems with tensioners for its' timing chains (front & back). According to info I've read on these, it is important to replace the hydraulic tensioners every 100,000 miles or so (front & back). I've done mine years ago and could actually hear the difference... there was a lot less rattle at cold starts, for example.

The hydraulic tensioners are accessible from the outside of the engine and can be removed with a 27mm (I think?) long socket and a breaker bar. Be careful not to buy Taiwanese knock offs on eBay, only buy the original NOS Ford ones. I bought some cheap ones on eBay (Made in Taiwan) from a parts place in California and the front timing chain sounded like it was running loose - it made so much rattle I thought it was gonna come off! I had to put back the old tensioner, order the proper Ford-made part and swap it again. Only after putting the genuine part in there did it cure the rattle and restore quiet start ups. I tried contacting the eBay snake oil salesman to return the knock-off tensioners, but hit a brick wall (left them negative feedback as a result, for whatever good that would do). Lesson learned!

There apparently was an internal issue with tensioners also, where Ford in their infinite wisdom put plastic tensioner parts on the chain itself initially (then changed them to metal ones via a service bulletin or what not - wasn't a recall though, unfortunately). That is a lot harder to do and, for the rear one, requires removal of the engine from the truck. Hopefully all you need is to change the external hydraulic tensioners and you'll be good to go.

Good luck!

P.S. Also, I don't know about others' opinions, but I am a firm believer that a good quality fully synthetic motor oil does miracles for this engine and its' timing chains. For one, the hydraulic tensioners need motor oil (oil pressure) to work properly, so a good runny oil is best... especially in colder climates like ours out here (Canada)! ;)
Thanks to you all for the answers, It will be a big help. ;)

A '97 SOHC with 284,000? - Drive it until it blows up and look for a newer vehicle. I have a '97 SOHC with roughly the same mileage. It's on it's second engine and has no timing chain noise at all. We bought it 2 1/2 years ago for $1400 thinking if we got 2 years out of it we'd have gotten our money's worth out of it. If it lives until the end of 2016 we plan to retire it and switch it for my 2000 XLT V8 with 216k on the odo. We hope to get at least 2 years out of the XLT as well. We'll keep the '97 around as a spare vehicle, but I can't see putting any money into it. It needs 4 tires, U/L ball joints, brakes, shocks, a windshield and U/L intake manifold gaskets. The XLT will be used by my son-in-law to drive back and forth to work, as was the '97.

The only thing you need to know your timing chains is it ain't worth fix'in.

A '97 SOHC with 284,000? - Drive it until it blows up and look for a newer vehicle. I have a '97 SOHC with roughly the same mileage. It's on it's second engine and has no timing chain noise at all. We bought it 2 1/2 years ago for $1400 thinking if we got 2 years out of it we'd have gotten our money's worth out of it. If it lives until the end of 2016 we plan to retire it and switch it for my 2000 XLT V8 with 216k on the odo. We hope to get at least 2 years out of the XLT as well. We'll keep the '97 around as a spare vehicle, but I can't see putting any money into it. It needs 4 tires, U/L ball joints, brakes, shocks, a windshield and U/L intake manifold gaskets. The XLT will be used by my son-in-law to drive back and forth to work, as was the '97.

The only thing you need to know your timing chains is it ain't worth fix'in.
Well the good news is I think it will live far past 300,000, I've already done upper control arms and ball joints, lower ball joints, both front CV axles and rotors and brake pads.--just did plugs and wires, motor purrs like a kitten and doesn't use oil, so I think I'll do the hydraulic tensioners next, the tranny doesn't seem to act up at all, and the 4wd works great. I'm a big fan of doing what I can myself, and I love Rockauto.com -----they have never sent me the wrong part.

I suggest you do not replace the hydraulic tensioners. New tensioners can break the chain guides. Even removing the old tensioners can cause the guides to fall apart. At this point the truck is still running and owes you nothing. You'll probably have no problem making 300k+, if that's your goal. In the mean time you can look for a late model used engine with relatively low miles to stick in it when the old engine gives up the ghost. Me? I have no desire to put anymore time & money in my '97. JMO.

Back