Hi Folks

baumy1362

Reaction score
City, State
Green Bay , Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer sport
Hi Folks,

I'm a retired Firefighter from Wi. Have often come to this site as a "lurker" to find fixes for my problems with my 2002 Explorer sport. Great folks and always seem to be very helpful and friendly. Even though I have limited mechanical abilities and knowledge the advice I've seen here has gotten me though many minor issues. Finally joined up instead of lurking because I have a problem that I can't get solved using the threads I've found so far. So, hopefully I can find the right forum to post my question to and get my issue resolved. Will likely be joining the elite club to support the site financially.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Josh. Here is an update on what we did today.

Checked fuel pressure it was good at 55 lbs. replaced the cam shaft position sensor, spark plugs and ignition coil. Still turns over has fuel and spark but no start. Still no reaction when squirting starting fluid in the intake. Visually saw the cam shaft turn but no reading on the tach. The anti-theft light did not blink (comes on when key is turned but goes right out) , so I assume the anti-theft is not an issue. Otherwise, how do you "turn it off"? The only things I can think of is that maybe the replacement Cam sensor or crank sensors are bad (unlikely but it happens) , or maybe the main computer is bad ? Or, a bad ground somewhere (but how do you find them all) ? Anyone have any other ideas worth testing? My buddies and I are at a lost. Thanks for all the help so far

Brooklyn, Thanks, but I checked fuses and relays.

Since you have spark and it won't run on starting fluid it either has a compression issue or a breathing problem.

Thanks guys. No codes have shown up. At this point I believe it will be no compression when I do the compression test this A.M. and I am going to assume that it will be due to a jumped timing chain ( from reading other posts on the ford V6 4.0 SOHC engine) . The only thing is there was never any rattling or noise to indicate a bad chain. It was running fine. I went in the store and when I came out it wouldn't start. I will let you know later.

Not yet BB. I am going to check the compression this afternoon. After reading more about the 4.0 V6 SOHC engine I fear a jumped chain in which case I will be looking for a new vehicle. If comp is good I will be checking vacum leaks and bad grounds.Thanks for all the suggestions though. Greatly appreciated

Didi the compression check today and as suspected the driver's side came in with 0. So I will be looking for a new vehicle. Thanks for all the help and welcome

Thanks you the update. You going to get another ford?

Josh, Not sure. I have always liked fords and have had more of them then any other brand. I especially loved the rangers I have owned, in fact I still have a 1997 that I use as my "beater vehicle " . I have a small storage building for my "man toys" and I had a 6'2" plow on the explorer. My main concern now is finding another truck to put the plow on and try to keep the same mount. Will be contacting the plow manufacturer to see what years , makes and models the mount fits too and will be checking for those vehicles first. But , if they are all going to be that old then I will look at anything and just buy a new mount.

Brooklyn Bay, I am no where near mechanical enough to swap out an engine so by the time I paid a shop I think I would have more into it then the truck would be worth . Plus, then I have to worry about what else will be going wrong with that motor. I definitely would NOT want another ford 4.0 V6 SHOC engine since after reading up on them from this experience it sounds like the timing chains are their Achilles's heel. Many folks have written that after about 120,000 miles its not a matter of if, but when a timing chain will jump.or break.

Thanks again to the both of you for the help and the welcome. It is truly appreciated.

Back