Hiccup at 40-50mph NEED HELP as I am going insane! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hiccup at 40-50mph NEED HELP as I am going insane!

slbeck1

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 OHV Sport & 2003 xlt
Been having this issue for quite some time now...Car hiccups around constant speed of 40 to 50 mph. I had this checked out and replaced:
  • Intake manifold gasket
  • DPFE sensor and hoses
  • EGR Vaccum valve
  • EGR vacuum solenoid
  • New plugs & wires
  • New fuel filter & PCV
  • tune-up

The car will only hiccup intermittently; usually only when hot, and driving up a steady incline at a constant pace...No codes on this since I have replaced all the EGR stuff...Code then was "insufficient air flow"...So what could this be? Mine is a 99 explorer sport 2wd x-vin OHV motor. PLEASE HELP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clean your MAF, IAC, Throttle body, and air temp sensor if you have one. Intake removal is in the how to video list in my signature.

wouldnt hurt to throw some seafoam at it either.

Hows the air filter?

still need help

Seeing oil dripping down from the valve covers...Saw some metal shavings in the oil at last change...What would be the cause of my hiccup though!??:mad:

Timing chain "munch".... :) maybe ... how many miles????

Could be a timing chain...I'm over 130K

Depending on how "hard" it has been driven, chains, teeth, or guides might be worn.... but I wouldn't say that 130k is alot to have chain problems (my experience on vehicles with over 300kkm). Maybe this could show up as "lost timing" meaning that the system will compensate for only so much before it can't, "hiccups" and then starts again. Just a guess though. Seeing metal in oil is never a good thing though.

If you can, I would put a "run data" monitor on and see if the system is doing anything "strange" during an "episode"... assuming you have something and also that it will "co-operate" in having the problem.

Try hitting it with seafoam a couple times.

oil leaking both sides...valve covers Hiccup still

Well Now I notice oil leaking from both sides of the engine up around the valve covers or cylinder heads...what's happening to my truck? :mad:

P0401 bad DPFE AGAIN...Now the Question...WHY?

Had 3 good months running after I changed the plugs & wires again...Plugs showed signs of damage (vertical burn spots) where the wires connected on all plugs. This solved the Hiccup she was having.

She coded P0401 again... pointing back to the DPFE. I already changed this a couple times, once after it melted...WHAT MAKES THE DPFE MELT? Heat. I know. BUT WHY?? I have a new EGR valve and solenoid, and the tubing is clear/unobstructed.

Thoughts anyone?
:p:

:DDPFE sensor was at fault. I had purchased an aftermarket (not Ford) BFE I believe at Advance Auto and had to replace it 3 times. I noticed on the thrid replacement that the design of the sensor had changed a bit. After running this NEW sensor for several Months, all is GOOD! No more Hiccup. I read several threads on this and apparently the DPFE can corrode due to moisture in the exhaust system when running short trips. I do drive a short 4 miles home from work and this may have contributed to the short life span that the DPFE was exhibiting. I have not had any repeats in over a year now.:D

Back