HID Conversion Kit... eh, rethinking the install | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Conversion Kit... eh, rethinking the install

My drivers side HID bulb did the same thing. Pulled the dust cover off and used a hand held mirror to check it out. Turns out only 2 of the three bulb tabs were locked into the socket. Took over an hour to get it settled correctly. Once I got all three started it was impossible to turn enough to feel a "lock" like the stock bulb. I was very close to figuring out how to drop the bumper when another idea popped into my head. Using the mirror I was able to stick a 16 penny nail into the housing next to a bulb tab and popped it into place. I went with a 35 watt 6000K kit from Drivebright LED's and absolutely love them. The cutoff is great. I also installed front and rear LED turns, LED reverse, LED puddle and license plate lights. For the fogs I went with 3000K Nokya plasma bulbs which Ive ran in 3 previous cars. The whole process was a PITA but well worth the cost and frustration.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You know, it's very weird. It kind of goes into place and sits still and I assume it's in the right position. But, I don't feel a rotation and/or twist/click into place type of feeling I would get from installing an OEM halogen bulb. I don't know if it's just cheap quality or what the deal is. Tough to do this since you can't "see" anything when putting it in. You gotta go by feel.

If you have a set of calipers, measure the stock bulbs and the HID bulbs. What I found was that the three tabs on the HID bulbs were thicker. A few passes on them with a file and they went in nice.

Wow. There's something seriously wrong. I have some Retrofit source bulbs and ballasts and mine look almost identical to the stock pattern in your pic.

Tony

So I re-positioned the bulb to have the metal bar running parallel to the bulb facing down as someone else suggested and it looks like it helped the cut-off. However, I was only able to see at dusk. There was still too much light out. I will get a full view tonight to see the entire beam cut-off more clearly. I hope this bulb seating is correct.

Wow. There's something seriously wrong. I have some Retrofit source bulbs and ballasts and mine look almost identical to the stock pattern in your pic.

Tony

Agreed, mine are much cleaner and not all over like the photos has shown.

You know what, I twisted the bulb in a different direction and I think it might have helped but I haven't seen at night yet. Looking forward behind the bulb, what direction should it go, horizontally ( - ) or vertically ( I ) ? And what side does the parallel running metal bar along side the bulb go?
Metal bar goes towards the ground that's why you're having a problem.

Metal bar goes towards the ground that's why you're having a problem.

That must be it! I know when I did mine that R/H side was tough and I thought I had it in all the way, but was just slightly off and the shadow was really screwing with the output.

I repositioned the metal bar to face the ground and it looks like I'm back to the factory cut-off.

Thanks everyone for your input!

I've also been playing the game of how to make the pitiful headlights better on
my 2015 XLT Explorer. First I replaced the original 9005's to a new 9011.
Brighter yes, but still not acceptable, and like other vehicles on the road today.

Next I have installed the Diode Dynamics, 35 W, 4300K kit, that cost me $155.
better yet, and I have tried adjusting the headlamps up and down, with no
success yet.

I think it must be in the headlamp reflector and lens, it is not going to do it.

Ford, you must do better here. These are the worst headlights in over 35 years of driving many new vehicles, including SUV's and pickups, all GM.

I've also been playing the game of how to make the pitiful headlights better on
my 2015 XLT Explorer. First I replaced the original 9005's to a new 9011.
Brighter yes, but still not acceptable, and like other vehicles on the road today.

Next I have installed the Diode Dynamics, 35 W, 4300K kit, that cost me $155.
better yet, and I have tried adjusting the headlamps up and down, with no
success yet.

I think it must be in the headlamp reflector and lens, it is not going to do it.

Ford, you must do better here. These are the worst headlights in over 35 years of driving many new vehicles, including SUV's and pickups, all GM.

I'm not sure what the problem with yours is, but many of us have had excellent luck upgrading our crappy halogen lights with aftermarket HIDs. I'm 100% happy with mine, and I'm very picky.

Tony

I'm not sure what the problem with yours is, but many of us have had excellent luck upgrading our crappy halogen lights with aftermarket HIDs. I'm 100% happy with mine, and I'm very picky.

Tony

I second that

my HID conversion has made night driving 1000% better and the best $$ I have spent in a LONG time. Sorry you are having trouble.

Back