High mileage maintenance advice for 06 V8? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High mileage maintenance advice for 06 V8?

scubat

Reaction score
City, State
west palm beach, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer V8
I just turned 130k miles on my 2006 V8 Eddie Bauer. I am the original owner and still love my Explorer! I have followed the factory maintenance schedule since new and have probably gone above and beyond what was required. Oil changed religiously every 3k, plugs done at 60k and 120k, radiator was replaced at 80k, tranny flush and fuel filters were done every 30k and so on. The truck runs absolutely perfect and does not go through any fluids at all.

My question is, what else should I be doing for preventative maintenance to keep it going another 100k miles that I am not already doing or have not already done? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you need to do the differentials, the PCV valve, and possibly the coil packs. It wouldn't hurt to change out the O2 sensors and clean the MAF sensor and throttle body.

Sounds like you need to do the differentials, the PCV valve, and possibly the coil packs. It wouldn't hurt to change out the O2 sensors and clean the MAF sensor and throttle body.

Thanks for the advice. Good suggestions. Engine runs like new so I think I will hold off on the coil packs. PCV valve and O2 sensors make sense. Why the differentials?

Change rear and front differential fluid, tranfer case fluid, p.steering fluid, brake fluid, cleaning the throttle body and maf and replacing the air filter, amen to that. check also the serpentine belt for crack. But pcv and o2 sensor i'll disagree. But it wont hurt replacing it, i just dont want the idea of replacing parts that works fine ending up opening or removing other parts just to replace it. Pcv and o2 sensors on 4th gen will last long as long you follow your routine "religiously". I still have my orig pcv and o2 with 110k miles. Consider replacing your spark plug wire though, just keep the original as replacement just incase.

The maintenance manual calls for the PCV valve to be changed at 100k or 125k (can't remember which). As far as the O2 sensors, they work on a simple chemical reaction and over time the material becomes less responsive so replacing them makes a huge improvement on the efficiency of the engine particularly these newer vehicles that are managed so heavily by the PCM. Also Fritz 24 with regards to, "Consider replacing your spark plug wire though, just keep the original as replacement just incase." the OP has the V8 engine hence why I said to replace to COPs.

scubat, the differentials need to be changed since the gear oil in them does break down over time and provides less and less protection to the moving metal components.

with the price of coils.... I wouldn't touch them unless you are having p301-08 missfire codes

with the price of coils.... I wouldn't touch them unless you are having p301-08 missfire codes

x2 on the coils. Hear a lot of complaints about aftermarket cops.

I always use alittle bit of dielectric silicone grease on the coil boots/seals after servicing the plugs.

I replace coils when I start getting misfires. And I replace them all with Motorcraft and keep the old "working" ones as spares. My O2 sensors were still good at 200k miles. I replaced them since I replaced the cats when I had the motor out , but they were still OK. I change tranny, the diff fluids and transfer case every 60k, and at 206k miles everything is still good, and I tow and plow with Expl.
Tomorrow, I am doing lower ball joins as they are shot.

Back