High Mount Brake Light | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Mount Brake Light

Well, I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for the parts from Ford, so I guess I'll try to find a ballast in a salvage yard; thanks Kris. I may try to take it apart this weekend and see if maybe the wiring is at fault or at least see what it looks like so I know what it'll take to fix it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guys I have a 96 with High mount light out. I bought two bulbs at Advance Auto, but not sure now if truck has bulbs are LED.

Any words of wisdom on 96 as to bulbs/leds needed or how to go about replacing bulb or LED. Any help would be appreciated because I am allergic to Ford dealer.

the light is not a LED it is floresent. Ford will sell you either the Balest or the light fixture only. Both are not cheap parts but it is most likly the Balest that is defective.

why dont you guys look into converting to the 98+ third brake light system? I suppose that could be difficult with the change in tailgate design and all. I suppose you could switch to the 91-94 style or buy a universal third brake light at advance autoparts or pepboys or something for less than 300

Because the '98 third brake light is only 12" long whereas the '95-'97 stretches clear across the entire hatch. If you removed it from the '95-'97 and put one from a '98 it wouldn't bolt right on and you would be left with a bunch of holes across the top of the rear hatch.

Back