hissing noise... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hissing noise...

G

gensic11

does anyone else get a hissing type of noise from their explorers? it sort of sounds like there would be a small hole in a pipe letting out air.. sounds like someone hissing loudly and kind of sputters in and out sometimes..
it ONLY does it at Idle - and no it's not in the engine or IAC.. it sounds like it's coming from under the truck. i had a ford mechanic say it's normal for explorers to make the noise but i disagree - the trucks don't come off the lot making hissing noises - it DOES NOT affect anything at all .. just real annoying while sitting at a drive through having to listen to the hissing noise..

when i put it in park it seems like it goes away sometimes.. but then there are other times that it doesn't.. ONCE i hit the gas pedal and drive off - it completely stops and sounds like it should.. any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if what you are hearing is from the transmission -- something about the hole in a separator plate being too big or too small. I have it, more of a "whistling" that is very noticeable in the drive through at Whataburger. There are posts about this: bottom line is that it doesn't hurt anything.

Good luck.

memhorn glad you posted that.. i remember reading that a long time ago but couldn't get much information out of anyone. i would love to get this fixed considering how annoying it is listening to it at drive throughs.. does yours go away when you hit the gas??

It seems to go away, but that might just be due to the road noise masking it as I pick up speed. I talked to one dealership about the problem and they said it would cost about $1000 to fix -- that was in line with the other posts I had read read here, that it was a BIG, messy job.

So, I am living with it.

I heard a hissing noise just when I was hitting gas pedal. I thought it could've been a brake booster or a type of vaccuum leak. It turned out to be an exhaust leak near the Y pipe and O2 sensor. 2008 4.6L Eddie Bauer Explorer 166,100 miles.

Back