Hot rumor on the Sport-Trac/Ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hot rumor on the Sport-Trac/Ranger

oldschool

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Mounty
I was told Friday (4/29) that the next Ranger will be based on the new Sport-Trac chassis. The vehicle will be renamed the F100 and is supposed to be a mid-sized pick-up.
This jives with the recent media reports that Ford wants out of the small truck market as they see no future in it. Needless to say, the change will allow for a V-8 and possibly a V-6 diesel.
I think Ford is playing cat and mouse on the Sport-Trac. If the rumor is true, then there really is no need for both. How could you possibly differentiate the two enough to justify both? I also heard that the Ranger (F100) production will be returning to Louisville. If this is the case, that plant cannot possibly build enough trucks to satisfy Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger, and Sport-Trac sales. I think the Sport-Trac goes bye-bye and the Ranger gets bigger.
Anyone else on this?????????

I searched for anything previous on this so forgive if a repost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

about time, hate to say it, i'm pretty young , mid 20's and i'm in the demograph of the ranger buyers, it's a going trend, larger trucks, bigger bucks for it though,, Hope to see some pics of proto types before to long, Still holding on to my mazda b2300,

And once again we come full circle in vehicles. The F100 was offered back in the seventies. My dad had one that was an 1970 I believe. Had a 390 in it and would go damn near anywhere in 2wd. I think it even had a little tag on the rear callin it an F-100 Explorer. LOL

They are creating it to compete with the V8 Dakota probably.

dreamr - My first vehicle was a 1981 F100 with the 300 I6. That thing was a brute! Went anywhere in the mud (only a 2wd truck) and ran like a champ.

If ford does this, they better do it right. I have a strong connection to the F100 name (was my first vehicle after all), and if Ford messes it up I will be very upset.

speaking of doing it right, 4x4 and a solid axle, just like the old 70's Ford trucks

Solid axle will never happen. I expect ifs and possibly irs.

I know, just wishful thinking. :)
admit it though, that'd be sweet!! I can see it now, 2007 F100 Highboy !!!!:D

They were actually discussing solid rear for the Sport-Trac a while back. I think the the Sport-Trac concepts that you have been seeing are going to be the Ranger (F100). It would seem that a midsize truck would be duplicity with the Sport-Trac.

Back