How are my pressures?

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
I had a nightmare of a time with my AC this week,. Was keeping R12 & that was a disaster. So I converted to r134.
I'm getting a steady 50 PSI low & 295 HI. Vent temp is 53-55 while sitting.
I used 3 cans of 134.
The temps are 85+ with 80+ humidity. While driving it gets colder. The vent temp drops to around 45.
The pressures do start out lower & then raise to these points & then stay there.

Is this decent? I was afraid to overcharge it by adding another can of 134.

Looking at your numbers...

I would think you either are overcharged, got a restriction or you need some better cooling of the rad/condensor...Since you converted you should really should only see a high side of 2.3-2.7x ambient ...If your ambient is 80F then your high side should be in the 185-215 range...

What did your orifice tube look like? Any debris on it? Is the fan clutch working? With 295 psi high side you will be replacing the compressor a lot sooner than you would want...Plus the rest of the components are under a lot more pressure and will tend to wear out or fail as well...

I would gauge up the system and monitor the high side while running a garden hose across the condnesor...If the pressures drop significantly you need more or better cooling... If the pressures don't drop, you have a restriction somewhere in the system...

Granted my 99 Sport is native R134a but in 105 ambient I see 175-200 psi high side with the low side varying between 25-50 psi and a constant center vent temp on fan speed #2 of 37-40 F...

Back