How do I know if my 2001 Explorer XLS has a trailer package? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I know if my 2001 Explorer XLS has a trailer package?

netmanager

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLS
This may be a very stupid question. My 2001 Explorer XLS has a trailer ball coming with the rear bumper. How do I know if my explorer has a trailer package ready?

If you look in the grill opening of your truck there should be a transmission cooler if you have the trailer prep package. There will also be a small power steering cooler that they all have, but this is mounted lower.

There will also be a plug underneath the rear of the truck, under the tail light area with a cap. There is a plug that goes into this, and powers the trailer lights.

The trailer prep package should also come with a limited slip axle. The code for this will be "D4" for 3.73's. Not sure if any of the towing packages came with 4.10's.

I would say the chance of having the tow package on an XLS are pretty slim as they were the cheapest stripped down model. It would have been special ordered if it does have it.

The trailer prep package should also come with a limited slip axle. The code for this will be "D4" for 3.73's. Not sure if any of the towing packages came with 4.10's.

My '01 XLT has the tow package with 4.10s. Also, it's a 4.0.

Back