How do I know which 6 cyl engine I have? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I know which 6 cyl engine I have?

jrgordon

Reaction score
City, State
Huntsville, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4x4
Sorry for being such a newb. I have what should be a simple question, but I cannot find the information I need to help myself. For that I'm sorry...

My 96 X EB Vin# 1FMDU34X9TZB73901 needs several things, but I'm still not sure whether I have the 6cyl. pushrod or the OHV. It's a bit confusing, because I would think with it being an EB edition, it would have the OHV. But I don't see that anywhere, and the pics in my Haynes where they discuss the OHV don't look like mine... (So is it the pushrod?) My VIN lookup only reports a 245cid 4.0L 6cyl engine.

If anyone could clear this up, I'd be grateful.

... It looks like my son is getting my current daily driver to take to college, leaving me with the X. I don't mind a bit, and actually think I'm getting the best end of the deal... :)

Thanks for the help. I'm sorry if this information is readily availble somewhere. I searched a bit, but finally decided to post.

John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By model year, you should have the pushrod/OHV engine.They are the same thing. The SOHC came out in 1997,and looks like this.

100_0869.jpg

ya, pushrod and ohv are the same thing. since ohv stands for over head valve, and they are driven by pushrods.
so OHV, pushrod, same engine, its when the sohc is mentioned that you have a different one, but yours shouldn't be sohc yet.

1997 was the first year of the SOHC so its has to be a OHV

Your 8th digit in your vin will tell you what engine you have. your digit is an X so you have an OHV engine.

If you use the Goggle Custom search at the top of this site and insert "VIN Decoding" it will list Ntrprize's page (www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/VIN.htm) for decoding Explorer, Ranger, Bronco II VINs. Your 8th digit is a "X" so it is a OHV engine. The "X" identifies your engine type when purchasing parts on line or at the local parts store.

EDR

First, thanks to all the very nice, prompt replies. That's why I love this forum. Hopefully I can help out others some day soon!

OK, I think that confirms it... My engine is not like the photo at all, and it's clearly not the V8 :)

It's the OHV pushrod.... Again, I'm grateful.

John

Back