How do I replace the spark plugs on my Aerostar? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I replace the spark plugs on my Aerostar?

i have to admit the 1 2 3 where easy as well as 4 5 but 6 have to cut a hole in the firewall tommarro let you all know how is goes.

2 from the wheel well,

It is convenient to use from the ratchet wheel long. And the gimbal.

i-1136.jpg

replacing spark plugs

i have had no problems r&r the plugs i reach them all from the engine compartment

I got to the front and center passenger side plugs through the wheel well opening, Just raised the front passenger side, and removed the tire/wheel. The rear plug I loosened throguh the transmission opening.

On the driver's side, the rear plug I loosened through the transmission opening;
the center and front plugs were removed through a combination of going through the wheel well opening and standing in front of the van / top of engine.

On both sides, I used long extensions and wobble adapters so that the ratchet was outside the wheel well, it was easy to turn that way.

I would warn that trying to remove the plugs from under the engine is a dangerous proposition and that you should have the vehicle well supported, placing concrete blocks under each front tire and jacks, as well as chocks on the rear tires to prevent any rear movement. It really is overkill to go under the engine to change the plugs.

Back