'97 V8 D60/70HD swap.....finally | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 V8 D60/70HD swap.....finally

Well, it all started with me breaking an axle on friday. Had to drop the diff to get the broken shaft piece out. Then the seal was ruined as well, scrapping a trip that i had planned for 2 weeks in advanced for on saturday.

I was thinking, why waste 50 bucks on the ifs axle when im gonna be ripping it out shortly. So i called my buddy and we started tearing into the mounty at 6:30 pm until 10pm, and monday from 2-10pm. We are on hold for parts so we can make brackets.

I have 2 Rustys off road 180 pound coils, 24" extened, we calculated that it should be around 18 inches compressed. As for the suspension design, its getting a triangulated 4 link. It kinda helps when you are friends with a suspensions engineer.

Well heres the progress so far. More to come next monday.
1185331202.jpg

1185325202.jpg

1185325203.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

here ya go.

100_1299.jpg
100_1294.jpg
100_1295.jpg
100_1298.jpg
100_1299.jpg

some more

100_1303.jpg
100_1300.jpg
100_1301.jpg
100_1302.jpg
100_1303.jpg

100_1284.jpg
100_1304.jpg
100_1305.jpg
100_1306.jpg
100_1284.jpg

the last pic i took yesterday. Obviously there is paint on the axle as seen from the other pictures.

Also ignore the bolt with the 2 washers and a nut. I ran out of the correct size 9/16" so i used this one just to keep things together.

Left to do:
Plumb front brake lines(rears were done yesterday
Plumb ps line
make cross braces for the upper link cradle with the plasma cutter
drill out the ps box holes
mount box
bleed brakes
bleed steering system
.and the worst one....somehow get the rear 4 inches higher to match the front
remove bodylift as it is too high as it sits.

What is the benefit of having the 3rd link on the truss above the diff rather than simply having it over one of the other links radius arm style?

friggim looks awesome so far man

Sweet Project, i think i may steal your coil bucket idea when i redo my front end in a few months.

why are you running dually hubs in the front? on regular wheels ur gunna burn up those 60 wheel bearings...yes its possible

Yeah, I hope they leave him alone. 6" past the fender is the law here

i say he cuts up a blue 55 gallon drum for flares..... thats my plan

Any plans to lower it some or is that your final ride height?

Holy crap... I guess Chris was right when he said almost the whole wheel was outside of the fenders...

Ill give you that ride you wanted in my X if I can get a ride in your Mounty when its finished...

Back