How easy is a 93 Aerostar transmission swap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How easy is a 93 Aerostar transmission swap?

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT,
Well in the search all over for door panels for our Aerostar. I found one in our own back yard. I had mentioned to a guy I know who has a salvage yard. That I was looking for them. He called yesterday saying he has one and the interior is in great shape. So, me and Flashflood went to take a look. absolutely gorgeous eddy interior. getting door panels and all the seats.

As we were talking, Flashflood mentions the transmission. My friend says when you are done with the interior I will just flip it on its side so you can access the transmission better.

Then my friend says, I think I have a freshly rebuilt A4ld still on the pallet and in the shrink wrap. Never put back in anything. I'll make you a hell of a deal on it. So, now for the question: How difficult is it to do a transmission swap on a 1993 Aerostar 4x4, 4.0?

thanks
Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well in the search all over for door panels for our Aerostar. I found one in our own back yard. I had mentioned to a guy I know who has a salvage yard. That I was looking for them. He called yesterday saying he has one and the interior is in great shape. So, me and Flashflood went to take a look. absolutely gorgeous eddy interior. getting door panels and all the seats.

As we were talking, Flashflood mentions the transmission. My friend says when you are done with the interior I will just flip it on its side so you can access the transmission better.

Then my friend says, I think I have a freshly rebuilt A4ld still on the pallet and in the shrink wrap. Never put back in anything. I'll make you a hell of a deal on it. So, now for the question: How difficult is it to do a transmission swap on a 1993 Aerostar 4x4, 4.0?

thanks
Tim
does the tranfer case bolt to the transmission?if so you will need a 4x4 transmission or swap the housing and maybe the tail shaft.also later trans are electronically controlled.

The several I've done in my driveway, a transmission jack and the access through the doghouse made it a 30 minute removal job. For the installation get 2 longer bolts for the top 2 positions to hold it while seating the torque convertor.

Back