• Register Today It's free!

How is the 2" Skyjacker kit?

wantedexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Jay, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie Bauer V8
Hey everyone, Im installing a 2" body lift and was thinking of going 6" suspension lift cause i have all the brackets ( just need springs flip kit )

But lately ive been thinking of staying smaller. ( 2" bl 2" suspension) has anyone here heard anything good back on the sky jacker 2" kit shown here

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/part....familyid/1318/subcategoryid/200/categoryid/30

$200 isnt bad. i know its just a AAL and coil springs. I guess im looking for opinions on it. And trying to decide 8's total? or 4" total. I just dont know.

HELP!

thanks
Al

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had this lift on my truck for the past 5 years and it's been great. I'm gonna replace it with something meaner soon but it performed OK so far. At this time all the powdercoat is gone and shocks are shot... it still works though.

I did have it on with 2" coil spacers in the front and warrior shackles in the back. This, plus 1.5" custom body lift allowed for 33's with a bit of rubbing (nothing a good sawzall wouldn't fix) in the front.

If you get this kit get new camber bushings as well... you'll need an alignment for sure.

6" Skyjacker that I have installed on my other truck gave me headache with bump steer... lots of side to side swaying on the highway.

I would install 6" again but perhaps with new steering linkage configuration... I think Superlit came-up with Superrunner steering but that's pricey... :thumbdwn:

Dre said:
I have had this lift on my truck for the past 5 years and it's been great. I'm gonna replace it with something meaner soon but it performed OK so far. At this time all the powdercoat is gone and shocks are shot... it still works though.

I did have it on with 2" coil spacers in the front and warrior shackles in the back. This, plus 1.5" custom body lift allowed for 33's with a bit of rubbing (nothing a good sawzall wouldn't fix) in the front.

If you get this kit get new camber bushings as well... you'll need an alignment for sure.

6" Skyjacker that I have installed on my other truck gave me headache with bump steer... lots of side to side swaying on the highway.

I would install 6" again but perhaps with new steering linkage configuration... I think Superlit came-up with Superrunner steering but that's pricey... :thumbdwn:

so overall satisfied.
good to know.
Im considering this kit with my 2" BL i have war-shackles already and could prolly do 32's in the rear now no problem. front is all stock. new springs and like a 1 1/2" Spacer I think would put me at a noticable good hight and to be able to do 33's with out the plastic on the side. thanks or the in-put! :thumbsup:

I have the Skyjacker 6" drop brackets i just need the coils, shocks and flip kit to complete the system.
i want to be high, but then again. i dont at the same time, there getting strict on lift laws up here and that would make it about 2''s over legal limit. but i could still get a sticker either way.

any other opinions?

Get F150 coil spacers for the front. That plus Skyjacker 2" should still allow for an alignment. Most of the time how much lift you've got doesn't really matter... it's the skill.

:)

If you want to do anything else in the front just replace the TTB with a straight axle...

I've got a 2" suspension with 3" body, but my front is just spring spacers. I like it but I'm thinking about going to the skyjacker springs too.

I wouldn't pay the $200 for the whole kit... You can get the springs from summit for like $120, and a Pro Comp AAL for $30... Save yourself $50 for the allignment. Just a suggestion.

Edit:
Unless they've changed it, searching for explorer lift springs doesn't bring up the springs by themselves, just the kit. You can either select only the springs from the "Kit Contents" or search for ranger lift springs.

Dre said:
Get F150 coil spacers for the front. That plus Skyjacker 2" should still allow for an alignment. Most of the time how much lift you've got doesn't really matter... it's the skill.

:)

If you want to do anything else in the front just replace the TTB with a straight axle...

F150 coil spacers actually sound perfect! i totaly forgot about those ill have to order me a set of them with the springs! thanks!

LBarr2002 said:
I've got a 2" suspension with 3" body, but my front is just spring spacers. I like it but I'm thinking about going to the skyjacker springs too.

I wouldn't pay the $200 for the whole kit... You can get the springs from summit for like $120, and a Pro Comp AAL for $30... Save yourself $50 for the allignment. Just a suggestion.

Edit:
Unless they've changed it, searching for explorer lift springs doesn't bring up the springs by themselves, just the kit. You can either select only the springs from the "Kit Contents" or search for ranger lift springs.

yeah its late, I know about a yr in a half ago when i got my first Explorer the Ranger coils and Procomp AAL were my plan. I'm glad u reminded me of that!

looks like i might go F150 spacers, 2" springs, ProComp AAL along with my 2" AAl and some 33's with some minor trimming.

I'm glad people seemd to be please by these springs!

Take into account that it's Stylin'Concepts and that means it's wth more expensive than anyone else sells it for...

Yeah summit is around $180 I think.
I have this lift.
Overall it's ok, but I don't like the ride in the rear. Might be only my X but with the skyjacker AAL added, My entire rear end hops over bumps. This induces a hell of a bad rough ride going over big bump & speedbumps. I had someone drive it while I followed in my other car & I can see the rear end go over the bump, & then completly hop over it & crash hard back down. There's like zero bounce in the springs.
My stock rear springs didn't have any sag in them.
I'm not sure why it's like this.
I had the same Skyjacker lift on my old Bronco II & didn't have this issue.
But if the road is smooth, it rides fine.

love mine, i just got the springs for 128.00, then made me a set of shackles, ride is grate, better than it was stock....

Dre said:

Do you have pic's of this truck? i went threw your gallery but at certain shots i really couldnt see if i was looking at the 6" kit or a total of 4 " I would like to see a couple pics of 2+2 b4 i make the final descion. thanks!

EDIT: I went even deeper into youre Gallery this morning, And i found the sport with 6''s and was able to tell the 4dr green one was still SUA.

I got descions to make now. :-\ maybe ill do the cheap lift til after winter then next summer throw the 6" in

My question is what do you want to do in the truck. Serious off road or just looks or somewhere in between. If for looks do the small lift and BL. If you want to do some decent wheeling go with the 6" lift. What size tire you want to run?

Positive Vibes said:
My question is what do you want to do in the truck. Serious off road or just looks or somewhere in between. If for looks do the small lift and BL. If you want to do some decent wheeling go with the 6" lift. What size tire you want to run?

well to be honest I do it all, I drive highway, I do a fair of off roading around my area, ( trails,water,mud, light rock) Im from Maine and we have it all
Ive had a couple differnt SUV's ive lifted,

88 S-15 Blazer 6" Suspension and 3" Body and 33's
94 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5" suspension and 32's
88 Ford Ranger 4" suspension and 3" body 33's

So as you can see I ushaully stay around 33's. I love the look and the Hight of the 6" and the less wurries about sucking water ( tho i plan on building a snorkle ) If i do a 6" ill probably do a 34x10.5x15 LTB or somthing around that. SAS is out of the q. I dont have the know how for this. So im just going to build a strong D35
If i stay around 4"s it'll be 32-33's. I could do the 2" suspension and 2" BL for now. and next summer do the 6" suspension with the 2" BL.

hmmm... I cant decide.

Just run the 6" and forget the bl. Thats my opinion. Have you thought about regearing and lockers?

Positive Vibes said:
Just run the 6" and forget the bl. Thats my opinion. Have you thought about regearing and lockers?

yes way ahead of you, already thought of them but that will be last. i want it high gas millage doesnt scare me. So lockers and New gears will both be put in.. it will just be a little later down the road.

So what gears and lockers you going to run?

Positive Vibes said:
So what gears and lockers you going to run?

ok way ahead just becomes ahead now.. :p lol Im just going to get loc-rite for lockers and for gears I honestly dont know, Maybe a 4.56? for 34's? 4.10 for 33s? im not exactly sure I havnt gotten that deep into it yet scence it was further down the road.

wantedexplorer said:
Do you have pic's of this truck? i went threw your gallery but at certain shots i really couldnt see if i was looking at the 6" kit or a total of 4 " I would like to see a couple pics of 2+2 b4 i make the final descion. thanks!

EDIT: I went even deeper into youre Gallery this morning, And i found the sport with 6''s and was able to tell the 4dr green one was still SUA.

I got descions to make now. :-\ maybe ill do the cheap lift til after winter then next summer throw the 6" in

Glad you were able to find those pics... 2+2 was on an early one... then came the heep, then a Sport (6" Skyjacker) and now after a whole bunch of "junkies" I got my first truck back... it's still 2+2 but it's about to change. For now it's in the garage... working on bringing it back to life... after 5 years. The 2" Skyjacker just looks tired... that's why I will replace it with something else... but I'm going straight axle most likely and SOA in the back. Good luck. That 2" Skyjacker is going to be just the beginning for you... then comes more and more and more... it's a never ending story. Then you will realize that you are an "Exploraholic"!!!
:confused:

Back