How long do original struts last for 2006 Explorer, 4 x 4? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How long do original struts last for 2006 Explorer, 4 x 4?

sharon1124

Reaction score
City, State
Livonia, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
Hello All,

I have a 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, v-6, 4 x 4 with 105,000 miles. I have the original struts on the vehicle. Does anyone know how long the factory original struts are supposed to last? The vehicle drives fine and struts are not leaking. I'm getting mixed advice from repair shops. Local parts store advised they will last a lifetime as long as they are not leaking or no other problems & local tire store/repair shop advised Ford recommends replacement at 50K(?) I have new tires on the vehicle and I understand if struts are worn/bad, could prematurely ruin tires.

Thanks in advance.

Sharon1124

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never heard of a 50K Ford service interval on struts. It really comes down to the surfaces that you drive the vehicle on. In a normal city driving situation they could last the lifetime of the vehicle. If they are not leaking and still responding correctly then no worries. Also, if there was no cupping in the tires that were replaced and the alignment checked out good then everything is in good shape.

Sounds to me like a tire shop wouldn't mind adding some profit by selling you some parts you probably don't need. Just tell them, I'll pass on the struts - provided you don't have the issues Flag Gibby described.

Shocks/strut inserts are advertised as 50k mile service items by the shock/strut insert manufacturers (like 3mo, 3k mile oil changes by oil change shops!). In reality a bounce test and visual check should suffice. With strut inserts you can't see if they are leaking. And when you install strut inserts you put oil into the cavity before you drop in the insert, so seeing fluid does not indicate a bad strut. When you have new tires the shocks and strut inserts should be checked and also have an alignment done so you know the tires are setup for long life.

I've found that when its VERY cold outside, (like -10 or 5) outside, a "good" strut that doesn't leak/bounce may clunk. My Freestyle clunks when its cold outside, but when its 30-35+ outside, its fine. Go figure

I've had to replace struts at 20k-30k, and I've seen them go to 300k. I don't think anyone could consider a strut at 300k to be in "great shape", but they did not bounce or leak, so technically they were OK.

Back