How many different lift gate struts are there?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many different lift gate struts are there??

Boomsday

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
I am in the process of replacing my rear lift gate glass on my 02 Ex EB. I went to a junk yard today and found a 2002 Explorer XLT similar color and all so i was very excited. After watching a few Youtube videos i quickly realized that there must be two different versions of the 2002-2005 lift gate since my strut mounts are near the bottom not the top like in every video i have seen. Any input on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For 2002, I see one that's 22.416" long and one that is 22.01" long.

The longer one should compress under 15" while the shorter one compresses over 15".

For 2002, I see one that's 22.416" long and one that is 22.01" long.

The longer one should compress under 15" while the shorter one compresses over 15".

Thank you. Do you know how many different lift gates there are?? The reason I ask is because this new glass has different locations for the struts to bolt on. they are alot lower than what use to be there.

The ones I posted are for the main hatch. I only show one option for the window hatch.

I see, your not looking for the struts, your doing door/glass replacement. There was some kind of issue with the '02 glass door part. It may have just been the hinge at the top. Though other changes may have taken place '03+.

So you picked up a whole door? Just the glass part?

Can you post a pic of your door and the one you got? Where the differences are?

I can't imagine there being more than one subsequent update to the door.

My '05 attachment points are just like in the video you posted.

did you get the hinge recall? Ford may have changed mounting points in the repair.

ex_zpso10trft7.jpg

Mine is like this. Based on the video as well as the vehicle I removed the liftgate from this is different yet are the same year?

the mountaineer has different lift points compared to the explorer. I picked up a lift glass assembly from the junkyard out of an explorer. can't use/swap it but I was able to salvage the lock which is not rusted and the ford applique.
ford has those 2 round mount points visible on the rear glass near the hinge while the mountaineers has it hidden down behind the applique.

Back