How much force to turn a supercharger? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much force to turn a supercharger?

volver

Reaction score
City, State
Milan, IL Quad City area
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT AWD
How much force does it take to turn an M112 making 10 PSI?

When not making boost it shouldn't take much force at all.

I am in the prossess of making an adapter. I need to know how much torque it takes to turn the supercharger that way i will know if i need to add a brace.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it is my understanding that it can take quite a bit of HP to spin at the higher rpm's...although my powerdyne seems to spin fairly freely when turning the pulley just by hand...I am sure the curve is exponential.

yeah, I heard that some superchargers take half the power they make to turn. On a dyno you gain 60 hp. The supercharger actual gives you 120 but it takes 60 hp to spin.

What i need is a torque value. So i know if the supercharger is going to get ripped off of the lower intake.

How much torque does it take to spin a supercharger making 10 PSI?

That sounds about right.

I think the MFG of the super charger should be able to tell you that bit of info.

tried the web site failed to send my message

Half the power it makes is way off base. Yes an on older style M112 is less efficient. Though the numbers are closer to 15% to 20%. However there is an upside the unit will cool faster once the RPMs drop. And a supercharged engine will have gobs of low end torque.:cool: HP sells cars, Torque wins races.:D
Here is a link to a site that has all kinds of info http://www.capa.com.au/eaton.htm

Thanks. Looks like 50 HP is the max. Wish it gave me a torque value.

I tried to calculate it my self. I need to do an integral of the pressure across the impeller to find the torque it will cause. Did a rough estimate by placing the total force at the end of the roots. This will multiply the actual force many times. I come out with a 200 lb force at the top of the pulley. The adapter is not going to get sheared off with 200 lbs. The torque will be around 200 lbs. That will not twist the adapter off of the lower intake. I think it should stay on. I have way over estimated my numbers. i will still try to reinforce it some how.

Half the power it makes is way off base. Yes an on older style M112 is less efficient. Though the numbers are closer to 15% to 20%. However there is an upside the unit will cool faster once the RPMs drop. And a supercharged engine will have gobs of low end torque.:cool: HP sells cars, Torque wins races.:D
Here is a link to a site that has all kinds of info http://www.capa.com.au/eaton.htm

15% to 20% of the engine power maybe, not the output.

Back