how much height will the following tires add to the 2011+ explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how much height will the following tires add to the 2011+ explorer

rusty813

Reaction score
City, State
Private
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer Sport
If I get the new explorer, i see the stock tires on the limited are 255/50/r20

How inches will the following tire sizes add to the vehicle ground clearance...my goal would be to add 2" of ground clearance

1. 255/60/r20
2. 255/65/r20
3. 255/70/r20
4. 255/75/r20

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I get the new explorer, i see the stock tires on the limited are 255/50/r20

How inches will the following tire sizes add to the vehicle ground clearance...my goal would be to add 2" of ground clearance

1. 255/60/r20
2. 255/65/r20
3. 255/70/r20
4. 255/75/r20

I'm not sure about ground clearance, will putting on a bigger tire by x inches actually increase ground clearance by the same amount?

Anyway, following the teach a man to fish approach, do a web search for tire size calculator. Or you can compute it yourself, one inch = 2.54 centimeters, 1 centimeter = 10 millimeters, the first number above, 255, is the width of the tire in millimeters, the second number above, 75 for example, is the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width, .75 times 255, the diameter of the tire is diameter of the hole (wheel) plus twice the sidewall height (use the same units ie inches in the computation).

The stock tire is 30.0394 inches.

Hope this helps. :)

Hello Rusty,

I'm a newbie here at Serious Explorations-but not to Explorers [had a '96 XLT, an '03 XLT and now a '12 Limited] and was considering when the 255/50/20 Hankooks wear out going to a 275/50/20 to get a little bit more width/footprint without gaining too much more height/rolling diameter.

That's the opposite of what you're looking for, but what I found useful was this nice interactive site someone turned me onto which lets you plug in a few numbers and quickly lets you compare wheel & tire sizes/dimensions.

Here's the link: http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

You'll quickly learn how tall is too tall! Have fun!

Mike [isiwibi]

If you go with taller tires wont the fronts rub the wheel wells when cornering?

Back