How much longer will I be able to drive my 2002 XLT (rear wheel bearing noise)? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much longer will I be able to drive my 2002 XLT (rear wheel bearing noise)?

f2racer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Brought my car for an oil change at my local Sullivan Tires a couple of months ago. They said that I needed the rear bearings changed (at the time no noise from the rear of the car). Fast forward a couple of months and now I hear the low roar associated with bearings starting to not work 100%. Question is will they hold out for a couple of months? I tend to do most of the maintenance myself and would prefer to do this in the Spring when the temps are a little warmer in the northeast. Whats the consensus, will they last until say April? Also does anybody know what parts on rockauto I need to do the work?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sullivan (ripoff!!) tire? Why in gods name would you go there? Do yourself a favor, never return there. If its a light vibe, you might get away with it, if it gets much louder, its time to do it now.

Need more information about your truck for parts purposes. Engine 4.0 or 4.6? Flex fuel or not?

I went for months on my fronts with alot of noise

Sullivan (ripoff!!) tire? Why in gods name would you go there? Do yourself a favor, never return there. If its a light vibe, you might get away with it, if it gets much louder, its time to do it now.

The only maintenance I don't perform myself is oil changes (on the Explorer). It's economics really, with whatever coupon I can find, it's cheaper to have Sullivan or Jiffy Lube do it. I already know Sullivan is a complete rip, they quoted $1,200 to change the rear springs (mine broke like a lot of others here on the forum). I changed the strut and springs myself, I spent less than $250 on parts.

BTW, there's no vibe right now, only the low roar-ing noise when the car is rolling. I'll jack the rear up and see if there's any play...

I waited a couple of months on my left rear and it ruined the hub as well, cost an extra $100 or so. If you wait to long the wheel will lock up or fall off.

Sooner rather than later...

As has been stated, the longer you wait, the greater the chances for complete failure, and therefore more expensive repairs. You will also be surprised how loud that howl (at least from the rear bearings) was, and how quiet after the repairs. Don't push your luck...find a friend with a heated garage...you might save a life...your own!

I bought an 02 that HAD bad rear bearings. They had waited so long that brake rotor cut into the brake shieldn and pad mounting. It also cut open the half axle boot. Brake shild had to TIG in a 6 inch piece of metal in order to mount the E brake. Bearing hub was all chewed up on the inside. Bearings had just been replaced but they did such a bad job they needed to be replaced again. Bearing cracked when they inserted it because they didn't clean the scoring in the hub.

So, you can probably keep going till you hear metal scraping.

The only maintenance I don't perform myself is oil changes (on the Explorer). It's economics really, with whatever coupon I can find, it's cheaper to have Sullivan or Jiffy Lube do it. I already know Sullivan is a complete rip, they quoted $1,200 to change the rear springs (mine broke like a lot of others here on the forum). I changed the strut and springs myself, I spent less than $250 on parts.

BTW, there's no vibe right now, only the low roar-ing noise when the car is rolling. I'll jack the rear up and see if there's any play...

When you discover a loose or missing oil drain plug you'll change that as well.

I can change my oil with 15k mileage Mobil 1 full synthetic + premium oil filter for under $35. Doing this I save money and get the added protection of a premium synthetic. Thats $35 + $6 filter and topoff oil every 5kmiles for a years worth of driving.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned those rear axle TSBs that were out for the rear end axle wind on 3rd gens... might be worth digging for.

Tools needed, axle nut socket, socket for hub bolts and ratchet

I agree with everyone about not waiting, it can get very expensive when your doing 70mph and your rear wheel passes you and takes out the state patrol speed trap. Timken hub assembly $125, hub and bearing kit $50, flipping your explorer down the freeway priceless.:rolleyes:

How long till absolute destruction is not the question to ask

Not even the best mechanic in the world could accuratley tell you when the bearing will fail so I'd scratch that question if I was you, and the guys that say run it till it breaks most likley don't want to be on the road when it does grenade so I wouldn't take their advise to the bank. But I do agree about lube shops in general, I will not name any, you have to keep in mind that your trusting the most valuable piece of equipment you have to a bunch of guys that can't get a job in a real shop and probably couldn't tell you where the rear wheel thingy goes let alone if it's bad. Yeah I'm a little bitter about them after I got home to find oil sprayed everywhere and a big dent in my hood because one of them couldn't figure out where the oil fill cap goes so they thought it a good idea to just slam it in the hood so it wouldn't get lost.

I bought an 02 that HAD bad rear bearings. They had waited so long that brake rotor cut into the brake shieldn and pad mounting. It also cut open the half axle boot. Brake shild had to TIG in a 6 inch piece of metal in order to mount the E brake. Bearing hub was all chewed up on the inside. Bearings had just been replaced but they did such a bad job they needed to be replaced again. Bearing cracked when they inserted it because they didn't clean the scoring in the hub.

So, you can probably keep going till you hear metal scraping.

:eek::eek::eek:

i agree with lifted93xplorer no one can tell when it will let loose. i have seen the bad had a cust. wait and ended up in $1600 in just parts alone.

I thought it was the differential acting up for a second time and the dealer said it "wasn't serious", so I let it go for about two years. The sound would go away for some time. Turns out it was the bearings when I finally took it to a driveline shop. In my case, we went a long time, but I would have gone in sooner if I had thought the noise was bearings. I think it was about 400 dollars with labor. Don't put in OE as they don't last.

When you discover a loose or missing oil drain plug you'll change that as well.

I can change my oil with 15k mileage Mobil 1 full synthetic + premium oil filter for under $35. Doing this I save money and get the added protection of a premium synthetic. Thats $35 + $6 filter and topoff oil every 5kmiles for a years worth of driving.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned those rear axle TSBs that were out for the rear end axle wind on 3rd gens... might be worth digging for.[/QUOTE

And autosone always has some type of oil change special goin on that is always a pretty good deal depending on the current special. one good thing to do is wait for a good oil to come on sale and buy a couple of of gallons and filters so you have them

my front driver one has been bad for the last 4500 miles but it just started making noise where I can hear it now. Heres the thing though, Im selling it in march to get either an 05 or an 06 mountie, in that time Ill probably put another 1K miles on. Should I replace it now or just wait and sell it as is?

How much longer will I be able to drive my 2002 XLT!

generally when a question like that is asked your already at the point of needing to get it done

you can let it go aslong as you want, but the longer it goes the more stuff it can wipe out on ya
and it will let go whenever it feels like, not when anyone speculates too

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: The rear passenger bearing lasted only 1 more week until it was un-driveable. Brought the car to a reputable local repair shop who fixed it...

Back