how much offset is needed to tell a difference? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how much offset is needed to tell a difference?

I am currently looking at getting new tires for Adry, and I was lookin' at getting black 15x8 rockcrawler rims with a 3.75" BS (which would also look mean as hell, but thats another issue ;)). But my question is, will I be able to notice the increase in stability?

I currently have the stock 16" tear drop rims and i've measured them to have a 4.25 BS (by means of a strip of metal and then measuring down to where the wheel meets the hub).

I guess I'm wondering is it worth it to get new (heavy steel) rims just to increase my track width by 0.5" per side (1" overall). I planned on going with a 3" BL to clear 32x11.50x15 on a 15x8 with the afformentioned 3.75 BS (which all that lift really isn't needed, but more lift never hurts), but am now reconsidering after calling around to local tire shops.

This truck is my DD so onroad stability is still a concern and rock crawling ability definately rides backseat to safety.

(I will also be upgrading the anti-sway bar bushings to a Energy Suspension polyurethane kit to help control body roll)

Anyway, those out there that have gone to a 3.75 BS, please chime in if you have noticed more stability in corners, less sway on on-ramps, etc.

Thanks y'all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is just my opinion but I think you should stay with the 16's. You will be more stabill due to less side wall flex. I would buy some wider 16x8's if it were me. Then you could thrrow on a set of 265-75-16's and get the same effect.

Yeah but 265's and new 16x8" rims? That would cost a fortune! And, most 16x8" rims with a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern only come with a 4" BS, which would gain me a 0.5" track width increase.

I wonder if I could powder coat my factory rims black? I really like the way this looks....

14229adry_side-rockcrawlers-med.jpg

I say leave it as is and save your money on other mods. How about spending it on the same full size spare tire and placing it on the roof rack. It would look bad a$$ (or mean as hell as you put it) on your truck. :)

Or a 10" body lift.

You may want to consider your ultimate modifications. The 15x8 3.75 BS works nicely with a 6-inch suspension lift (SOA). Wider is better. Stock width is about 60-inches. That would be about a 2% stabilty increase. The wider wheel will also help with the wider tire. The black spoke wheels do look nice. They are pretty cheap too.

Originally posted by X-factor
I say leave it as is and save your money on other mods. How about spending it on the same full size spare tire and placing it on the roof rack. It would look bad a$$ (or mean as hell as you put it) on your truck. :)

And by placing a 100 lb wheel/tire on my roof rack would help my stability how? That would also serve as a pretty good air brake while on the highway. I decided not to get a safari rack during the group buy b/c I already have a ski rack and don't need a safari rack to further kill my mileage.

Hmm, 2% track increase... I wonder if that is really even worth the extra weight of steel rims.

I dunno, I'm all about weight and MPG's for my DD.. I kinda like getting high -18's to 20 MPG on the highway :D

Back