• Register Today It's free!

How to change radiator 5.0 V8

jamesrangitsch

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Haven, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 explorer eddie bauer
Hi, I am trying to change my radiator on a 1997 explorer with the 5.0 V8. I have all the hoses off and the transmission cooler lines off but the condenser in the front seems to be attatched to the radiator. Do I have to disconnect all the lines going to the condenser also to remove the radiator? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should be able to get the radiator out without having to disconnect the condenser lines. I believe that the condenser is only attached to the radiator with plastic clips or something similar, as far as I remember.

Don't disconnect the condenser lines unless you have recovered the refrigerant from the AC system first. Otherwise you are in for a huge surprise, and not helping the environment out any. lol

In my Haynes manual is say to disconnect the condenser. It says there are plastic clips that hold it on at the bottom of the radiator. After that you just lift it up and pull it out.

Ok, I just read the steps from my Ford repair CD, and it is possible to remove the radiator and leave the condenser in place. I was reading steps for a 99, but the steps should be the same for your 97.

There is a bolt on the top passenger side area of the radiator (in addition to the two top mounting bolts). Remove that. then on the pass side bottom, there is a buckle similar to what you would see on a fanny pack, haha. After you get those two undone, the condenser can then slide to the pass. side and it will become free. It won't be that easy though, but easier than disconnecting the hoses and having to drain and refill the AC.

Ok....I just took a good look at everything and did find the big clip (fanny pack) on the pass. side. I was able to get that off and my next question was going to be about those deals on the drivers side. I noticed that the condenser and radiator are locked together by those slide lock type things. I will have to do exactly what you said and slide it out towards the pass. side.....or try to atleast!! Thanks for all of your help...I know I should invest in a Haynes manual or something on a cd like you have but I just got this vehicle and just trying to fix some issues such as this. Again thanks a ton :)

Yep, just take your time. I can't remember the exact steps, but it took a while. That last clip was a pain, and I think you need to be able to shift the whole thing to one side so you have enough space to slide the condenser off.

No prob man. Good luck and welcome to the site! They make it look so easy on the instructional CD, but I am sure it won't be as easy in real life.

I bought my cd off ebay long ago. I was able to find them for free download at one point, but I can't seem to find any now. The cds are still on ebay though, and they save a lot of hassle for little money. They have many different model years available. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997...011QQitemZ320228634692QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

They are way better than a Haynes or Chilton manual also.

Mission complete!! Wow...they don't make things easy do they! There seems to be some coolant on one side of the condenser which is the same side all the coolant was leaking from..but while it was running it deffinetly seemed to be coming from the radiator..may be just run off from the leaky radiator? Should any auto mechanic shop be able to do a pressure test just to make sure it is the radiator that is bad? Hate to buy a new one, put everything back together and have it still leak on me. How much would you say it is to get a pressure test done on something like that? Thanks again...awsome web site here!!

Nevermind that last post...you can tell i'm a newbie. Coolant doesn't even flow through the condenser :confused:

Ok, I just read the steps from my Ford repair CD, and it is possible to remove the radiator and leave the condenser in place. I was reading steps for a 99, but the steps should be the same for your 97.

There is a bolt on the top passenger side area of the radiator (in addition to the two top mounting bolts). Remove that. then on the pass side bottom, there is a buckle similar to what you would see on a fanny pack, haha. After you get those two undone, the condenser can then slide to the pass. side and it will become free. It won't be that easy though, but easier than disconnecting the hoses and having to drain and refill the AC.[/Q=
where do u buy the cd repair at

Back