How to clean lower plastic cladding as well as buffing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to clean lower plastic cladding as well as buffing

jc_slick

Reaction score
City, State
New York City, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi all, i used the maguire scratch remover (which didnt do any justice) on my rear quarter panel below driver side tail light to buff out scratches.
1) does anyone know what works best to buff it out?
2) that remover got onto the lower bumper and now its stained it white. Car washes to nothing and neither do the maguire detailer. Anyone know how to restore it to regular factory color and get rid of the white chalk looking stain?

DBFCED1F-13A5-43CB-99C7-F28E8865B710.jpeg

AB093626-3F3B-45CD-AED4-F370CABB3657.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dang that looks pretty bad, not syre if it will come out. I use professional products tro, chemical guys. You will need an orbital polisher. Probbaky take it to a shop if you don't have the equipment but as bad as that is the bumper could need to be repainted.

Mcquire’s Back to Black

Those don’t look like they’re gonna buff out. Can you feel them with a fingernail? If so, they are there to stay.

The plastic piece needs to be replaced. This type of plastic can't be buffed out due to the texturing. The scratches on the paint appear to be deeper than the black paint coat. That section of the body needs to be painted and blended.

I've had reasonably good success with Nu Finish Scratch Doctor but as mentioned, those scratched look quite deep and will probably need more than a scratch removed for some of them.
I've seen ads for these but have no idea how well they work. nano pad scratch remover cloth - Google Search

Peter

RE: Paint Scratches; As mentioned, if you can catch your fingernail in a scratch, it can't be polished out but if you can't feel the scratch, then they usually can. From the look of your damage, I would "guess" that 50% or possibly more could be removed. My rule of thumb is if you wet the scratched or scuffed area, the damage that will polish out will "disappear" until it dries.

RE: Black Trim; Yes, its textured but replacement would be a last step. Usually a dilution of Isopropyl Alcohol or degreaser and scrubbing with a brush will remove the wax. Lighter cleaners can't break down the wax to remove (thats why soap and water doesn't work). Magic Eraser also works but the area wetted and followed up with a brush may be necessary depending on the depth of the texture.

Mothers Black to Black is a good product to clean, however on extreme situatons like yours, it may fall short. A body shop grade "Wax and Grease Remover" will work and those are available in an aerosol can from any jobber like Finishmaster or Sherwin Williams (auto paint not home stores). Chemical Guys actually makes a product for this but I've never used it and can't comment. Whatever you choose you will need a brush.

Back