How to drain some transmission fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to drain some transmission fluid

tjrtmaster

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
I had the transmission fluid replaced at a shop and they filled it too much. What is the best way to drain some of the transmission fluid so I can get it to the proper level? I have a 96 Explorer 4.0L 2WD.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just take one of the lines off the radiator, stick the end of the hose in an empty bottle, and start the engine, run it for about 5 seconds, shut it off, replace the hose, restart the engine and check the fluid level. Repeat until proper level.

if you keep the fluid in a clean container you can dump some back in if you take too much out

im gettin ready to flush my radiator. Which line is the feed and which is the return.

Just an FYI, there is suppose to be a vent tube for the tranny ( at least on my 99 there is), and when I put to much fluid in during a flush last year, it just drained out of the vent tube the next day or two, so I wouldn't be too concerned. I find reading the dipstick for the ATF can be misleading.
If you haven't seen any ATF being discharged from the vent tube, it probably means your ok.

Back