• Register Today It's free!

How To Get Better MIleage?

Drg racr

Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 2WD
What are some tricks to coax better economy out of my 94 Ex? It's getting around 13mpg on a good day. I put in new plugs, I checked fluids, tire pressure and such. Could I get better mileage by cutting out the cat? (They don't do emission testing here). I'm thinking a Flowmaster kit, K&N filter and putting it on a scope to check for problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

buy a honda.....cat might help...fuel additives?

What are some tricks to coax better economy out of my 94 Ex? It's getting around 13mpg on a good day. I put in new plugs, I checked fluids, tire pressure and such. Could I get better mileage by cutting out the cat? (They don't do emission testing here). I'm thinking a Flowmaster kit, K&N filter and putting it on a scope to check for problems.

When driving, treat your truck as if it had no brakes - i.e. aim to never use them, except for the final roll-to-a-stop at stoplights, etc. Acceleration is the enemy of fuel economy. Acceleration uses far more fuel than cruising. Keep it at 60 mph or below on the highway, as fuel consumption goes up far far more the faster you go. Anticipate your stops and start slowing down earlier. When you use your brakes, you are converting the gas you burned to create momentum into heat that you're just blowing overboard. Instead of accelerate-brake-accelerate-brake, anticipate, so it's gentle acceleration-coasting-gentle acceleration-coasting. I have gotten as much as 20 mpg in my 1994 Limited doing this. If I am sitting in stop and go traffic where I have no choice but to accelerate and brake continuously, I get around 13 mpg.

synthetice oils in the tranny and diffs were good for a few here..also the kitty on a '94 (if original) can be plugged/blocked causing a decrease.

Winter here in Mi I get about 18 and that ain't babying/grannying it nor beating on it...just every day 'normal' driving with the pack

Make sure you have a 195 degree thermostat. and check the codes to see if it is showing any thing. and just make sure you are in good tune first. you suld be getting better than that even if you are a hevey footed driver. on my 93 with 120,000 miles mostly pulling a trailer I still have the original brakes. needles to say I get good mileage.

Bruce

18 to 22 with out the trailer

Back