How to get Better Gas Mileage? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to get Better Gas Mileage?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have to say. I love VW for doing what they did! I would love to go buy one and keep it just to say shove it gov't! But they will just deny registration to all of them and you be forced to get rid of it or get the software updates :(

I have to say. I love VW for doing what they did! I would love to go buy one and keep it just to say shove it gov't! But they will just deny registration to all of them and you be forced to get rid of it or get the software updates :(

Basically they gave everyone a free $500 tune. I'm sure it'll just be a software patch. Then, everyone will try and figure out how to bypass the patch.

Exactly! I think that is the greatest!

I certainly am not asking our EPA to cram more restrictions down our throats and ruin everything for everyone.. I love how old cars (pre 71) have no cats! Sound sooo much nicer!

And when I see a prius, I like to use more gas lol

Basically they gave everyone a free $500 tune. I'm sure it'll just be a software patch. Then, everyone will try and figure out how to bypass the patch.

It's only VW diesels at least.

Oh, and, a thread about mpg and no one has mentioned EF's famous Quest For 30 thread? It discusses everything from tolulene to air dams, all in the quest to get 30.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. (forgive me if someone did and I missed it.)

Change the gear ratio in your rear end to lower RPM's on the highway.

some people in the jeep world who did the regear find the mpg gains minimal (or within the margin of error) Cost wise it doesn't make sense, only make sense when using bigger tires and want it back to stock power and mpg. it's a jeep thing so maybe the explorer is different.. start with the basic tune up of your engine.. air filter, maf/throttle body cleaning, tire pressure, plugs, fuel filter, injector cleaning and major thing is driving habits. I own a hybrid and if you drive like an old fart getting 40-48mpg is easy.

It's only VW diesels at least.

Oh, and, a thread about mpg and no one has mentioned EF's famous Quest For 30 thread? It discusses everything from tolulene to air dams, all in the quest to get 30.

I've read through some it. Take it with a grain salt. Anyone can post anything on the internet. Yes there are good points made... But he could really be getting 15, multiply by 2 for "correction factor", hide so called "correction factor", and call it 30 mpg all day long and only allow 30 mpg to be mentioned and talked about and soon enough everyone, even himself, will believe it really is 30 mpg...

Just saying.

You know how some dynos get such great numbers for engines over other places?

Dyno software has a built in and user set "correction factor". It means fudge factor. You want great results, just up the fudge factor. No one will know.

I've read through some it. Take it with a grain salt. Anyone can post anything on the internet. Yes there are good points made... But he could really be getting 15, multiply by 2 for "correction factor", hide so called "correction factor", and call it 30 mpg all day long and only allow 30 mpg to be mentioned and talked about and soon enough everyone, even himself, will believe it really is 30 mpg...

Just saying.

Al Franklin wasn't claiming anything. He just did a bunch of stuff, and chronicled it very well. The problem with his thread is that it got so big, it's hard to find anything in it. But still, since this is EF, it had to be mentioned.

It'd be like a thread about Herculiner here, not mentioning the Gerald Jarrett's hootus thread.

Unless you live in a state that has no emmisions testing. I ran an off road x pipe on my Mustang that had no cats. Automatic fail in several states, not mine.

I had always wondered for years how VW was the only make that did not require DEF. Now we know. :D

The VW thing is not new. Companies have been doing this for yearsssss. Some how VW made it to the news :p

Hey Guys and Gals,

I own a 2003 Ford Explorer V8 with about 123,000 Miles on it now. We put a-lot of highway miles on it, roughly 65 miles a day. I am getting about 16 miles to the gallon. Can I do anything to improve the gas mileage on it?

Same here, I have a 2003 and a 2004, both 4.6 V-8's Eddie Bauers. When I had a misfire on my 04 I changed the spark plugs to Bosch Iridium fusion and replaced all the coils (Total $66.46 parts + $80 labor). My mileage before all that was about 19, now its about 21.5.

Same here, I have a 2003 and a 2004, both 4.6 V-8's Eddie Bauers. When I had a misfire on my 04 I changed the spark plugs to Bosch Iridium fusion and replaced all the coils (Total $66.46 parts + $80 labor). My mileage before all that was about 19, now its about 21.5.

Thats at about 60-70mph. Learning how to coast really helps to. An even pressure on the pedal is best. Cruise control will kill your mileage unless you drive flat land.

Back