How to get deposit back from dealer on a no sale? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to get deposit back from dealer on a no sale?

Revlus

Reaction score
City, State
Dirty Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Hello all... And thank you for all the great info here.

I put down a deposit on a vehicle. the dealer could not end up getting it for me. I then let him try for a few days to locate another. No one from the dealer ever called or kept in touch, and all my attempts to contact them ended up in a transfer to a voicemail box that was full.
I then went to the dealer, asked for my deposit back on the vehicle they could again, not find or deliver, resulting in no sale per the standard yellow paper i signed. So finally they took my information and said ill get the refund in 2 or 3 days. 2 weeks later after many phone calls and no one ever calling me back and tons of full voicemail boxes, I've given up trying to be cordial and nice as i still dont have my money back.

How would YOU proceed to get your deposit back on a no sale? I'm not going to directly name and bad mouth the dealer. That's not my intention.... Yet at least. I just want my darn money back so i can go buy a new ford explorer at some other dealer.

Do i call credit card company? Start finding Ford corporate numbers? Other thoughts? This is really frustrating, and gives Ford a bad name.... Even though i still hope i can get i to a new explorer at some point. Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

*snip*

Do i call credit card company? Start finding Ford corporate numbers? Other thoughts? This is really frustrating, and gives Ford a bad name.... Even though i still hope i can get i to a new explorer at some point. Thanks for any help or suggestions!

If you used a credit card for the deposit, that may be your easiest route. Make sure your agreement paper with the dealer says you get your deposit back with no sale. Then call the credit card company and refute the charge. They'll want you to send in a written explanation and photocopy of the document, then they'll hit up the dealer for their side of the story.

If you used a credit card for the deposit, that may be your easiest route. Make sure your agreement paper with the dealer says you get your deposit back with no sale. Then call the credit card company and refute the charge. They'll want you to send in a written explanation and photocopy of the document, then they'll hit up the dealer for their side of the story.

Yes, I did. Thankfully I thought ahead on that one. The document says "If a sale" so I'm covered in that regard. It wasn't a sale because they didn't get the vehicle that is associated to the VIN on the paperwork. They didn't get ANY vehicle at all.

So I've started the process with the credit card company.

Also.... I happen to have a new 2014 Ford Explorer Sport sitting in my driveway from another dealer right now. :)

Also.... I happen to have a new 2014 Ford Explorer Sport sitting in my driveway from another dealer right now. :)

Excellent, congrats! I sure do love driving mine!

Yes, my family has been running a dealership in Wisconsin for over 60 years, and in our state and several others... If a dealership cannot deliver said vehicle after 15 days from the anticipated delivery date, then you can request a full refund with no penalty. I mean even our Wisconsin contract's say at the bottom if you back out of a sale (for no good reason) you can be charged a 5% penalty fee of the total MSRP of the vehicle.. Although I don't think we've done that in at least 50 years haha.

Back