How to get oil in the differential | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to get oil in the differential

jseabolt

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limted V8
I replaced the leaky differential gasket (well mushy silicone crap Ford used) the other day with UHF tape. Goretex works on anything!

Now comes the hard part, getting oil into the differential. No problem if you have a lift. I've used those pumps before and they suck (no pun intended). Try pumping three quarts of GL-1 90 weight gear oil into a Fiat transmission with one of those things! You'll feel like you have done curles for 30 minutes by the time your done.

So I tried one of those hand pumps that looks like a big syringe. Doesn't work worth a hoot either.

The rear differential holds 2.25 quarts but I somehow managed to spill enough oil trying to fill the differential i had to buy an additional quart to do the job. Not cheap at $18 a quart for this Royal Purple stuff and I didn't want to spill any of my limited slip additive either.

So I rigged up this contraption. I'm going to build another one using longer 2X4s to get more head pressure. Just something I threw together with some scrap wood I had laying around.

oilfiller1.jpg

oilfiller.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I rigged up this contraption. I'm going to build another one using longer 2X4s to get more head pressure.
An alternative might be to warm the gear oil up which would decrease viscosity and increase flow rate - like keep the bottles in a bucket of warm/hot water until its time for the fluid transfer. This is helpful during the colder months.

There is a video how-to for doing a differential flush in the stickys where the author does the same thing, except he held the funnel instead of mounting it to something.

Personally i'm able to get under the truck without lifting it and can fill the rear differential straight from the quart container (wouldn't work with those funny shaped amsoil bottles though). I haven't tried the front yet.

Although if you are looking for some pump action, I suggest a battery powered kerosene siphon/pump. They are like $10 at walmart.

Good ideas all around. Smarter not harder.

There is a video how-to for doing a differential flush in the stickys where the author does the same thing, except he held the funnel instead of mounting it to something.

Personally i'm able to get under the truck without lifting it and can fill the rear differential straight from the quart container (wouldn't work with those funny shaped amsoil bottles though). I haven't tried the front yet.

Although if you are looking for some pump action, I suggest a battery powered kerosene siphon/pump. They are like $10 at walmart.

I have a drill powered pump I found at Harbour Freight tools I was going to try. It's not the type you connect a water hose to but a 3/4" or 7/8" hose.

image_8908.jpg

Another method would be to use air pressure. I picked up this device while in Scotland called an Easy Bleed.

Easy%20bleed.jpg

You hook a spare tire to it and it forces brake fluid up through a tube from the bottom of the container through the brake reservour cap. It works pretty good as long as the tire is no more than 10 PSI otherwise it leaks pretty bad.

I didn't have time to find a suitable container to build a bigger system. Too bad you can't find glass gallon jars with metal lids anymore. Like Penrose pickled eggs and sausages.

I like the set up with the 2x4 personally

Congrats on trying to make it easier, but I don't think it's that hard to begin with.

2nd Gen Differential fill..

Rear Dif....Remove the spare tire, use a short(12") tube connected to the bottle, place tube in in fill hole, hold bottle where the tire was, squeeze the warmed bottle to fill.

Front Dif....Remove Dr front tire. Place 3 ft tube on bottle. Place tube in fill hole threw the wheel well. Squeeze warmed bottle to fill.

Back