How to get the guage the shows which gear your in working again? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to get the guage the shows which gear your in working again?

DROPZONE

Reaction score
City, State
Methuen
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mecury Mountaineer
This is my real problem now. I just replaced all the bulbs in my instrument cluster and now that ive reinstalled the cluster, the guage that shows park, drive, reverse, ect.. isnt working. The cable that goes into the white clip underneath the cluster is taught but when I shift it doesnt move and just stays in low 1 when regardless of what gear I pull the shift handle too. I need help with this desperately guys before I reinstall the rest of the dash shroud. Thank you so much for any help you can give me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a loop in the end of the cable that goes over a lever on the indicator. Is it in place?

Hmm. I just checked the thumbwheel and turned it each way it that didnt move the indicator at all. So maybe it is the loop your talking about. Going to check right now

OK I just found the problem. The copper cable on the RIGHT side of the thumbscrew is broken. What do I do now?

If the cable is broken the only thing I know you can do is replace the assembly. How big a job that is I don't know, that was not my problem. The nylon bracket broke on mine and I was able to repair it without removing the whole thing.

I'm not sure what the assembly consists of.

I have one I just took out of my parts truck $10 shipped
PRND21_cable.jpg

Well after looking at it more closely the loop came undone. The cable did not break.. I just need to remake the loop and secure it. Any ideas? Im tight on funds at the moment and really need

Wow $10 is dirt cheap? Before I say lets do it, do you know if their is any way I can just resecure the loop?

If you can get it back into the metal crimp you can tighten it back down with some pliers

And thats $10 shipped usps priority

That is dirt cheap, if that's what I priced from Ford they wanted $50 for it.

Once you replace the cable put the truck in drive and adjust the wheel until the indicator is centered on D. Nothing to it.:)

Wow thanks guys! Boomin how would you like payment if I cant resecure the loop?

Back