How to mount hella 550 on top of bumper w/o drilling? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to mount hella 550 on top of bumper w/o drilling?

Do I have to drill, or are there brakets I can use or make that will attatch to the edge of the bumper? If I sell this one, I will remove the lights, so I don't want two holes with rust on a perfectly good bumper.

hmmm, probably simplest to just drill the bumper and include the lights when/if you sell the truck.

if you paint the exposed metal after drilling, or put some heavy grease on it before installing the lights that will help reuduce the rusting.

i'm in the desert, rust ain't no problem here! :)

Hella 500s or 550s should run about $75 out-the-door, perhaps a few bucks less if you hunt online... that's a small fraction of the resale value of the vehicle, and just less hassle to leave them on. you should be able to recoup most of the investment in these lights.

oh, yeah... my truck came with a bullet hole from the front of the bed into the back of the cab (what can i say? dad f'd up when squirel hunting and had his finger on the trigger when he either pulled the rifle out of, ot loaded it into the bed) and hooles in the side of the cab from mounting a crappy CB antenna in a crappy location. (just got those holes welded up, just needs some bondo and paint) now i've got a Hi-Lift "4-Rac" bolted into the bed, and the Wilson 1000 on the roof. next i'm adding a 2M HAM antenna and some tie-downs in the bed for Gerry cans and pioneer tools. 4 holes in the bumper were the last of my worries and i have no intention of selling this truck any time soon.

Back