how to put idler pully back on? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to put idler pully back on?

the idler pully should be tight you do not want it loose....the single bolt that holds the pully on the engine needs to be tight ....the bolt goes through a bearing the head of that bolt press's against the center point of that bearing not the out side part of the bearing ...the out side part is what the pully rides on .

in other words if you can spin the idler pully ...it wont spin freelly so to speak
(like if you had a cheap plastic wheel on a nail and spun it ..it would turn VERY EASY and keep spinning) ...the pully will act like it does not want to spin but that is because of it's bearings ,but it will spin and rotate....if it does not then maybe you bought the wrong pully .

just make sure the idler pully bolt is tight but not so tight that you snap it off of course.if it's loose then it wont take long for it to vibrate it's self loose and cause damage to the belt or other things in the engine compartment.sorry i dont know the foot pounds for the bolt so you can tourqe it properlly ...i looked in my haynes manual and could not find a reference for that data.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ill just retighten it back to what i had it at yesterday (its starting to get annoying.) im also gonna make sure right now that the ac compresser pully spins freely.

whats getting annoying?

whats getting annoying?

Retentioning the belts its hard doing it alone without jacking up the truck. I wish I had a lift. Oh and stealing my dad's tools it getting annoying too. The ac compressor pulley is fine btw

:eek: should'nt need to jack the truck up to get to the tensioner pully ...could just crawl under it . maybe have your father help you with this .

:eek: should'nt need to jack the truck up to get to the tensioner pully ...could just crawl under it . maybe have your father help you with this .
I dont NEED to jack it up...it would just make it 498102890123740 times easier XD

Also my dad hates me doing the repairs and says WAIT FOR US TO TOW IT! i ignore him and I GOT IT RUNNING! gave it a test run last night up to 4k RPM and it held :D i'm gonna assume it will hold up to 5K RPM XD

but she is running again. I poped the hood after i ran it for about 2 miles and there was no burning smell this time :D I AM SO HAPPY :D thanks :)

great news ! ...but i would try to restrain your self when trying to rev it up to 5k on the tach .useally the 4.0 gains it's max torque at around 2.5-3k .:p:

great news ! ...but i would try to restrain your self when trying to rev it up to 5k on the tach .useally the 4.0 gains it's max torque at around 2.5-3k .:p:

I am kinda afrade to take it up to 5k...only did it once...when the car fell outta gear xD i never go pst 4K and that is either when I am getting on the highway or when i shift into the wrong gear. oh and when i did the test xD

Back