How to remove l/s front spark plug 4.0 SOHC. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove l/s front spark plug 4.0 SOHC.

Mike65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
In my garage working on one of our vehicles.
City, State
Horsepasture, Virginia.
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ranger 4x4, 99 Sport.
I am replacing the spark plugs in our 99 Sport 4.0 SOHC & can not reach the l/s front spark plug. I tried a swivel & long extension with no luck. Any one have any ideas?. There is a tube right in the way, looks like an EGR tube that runs down to the l/s exhaust manifold. HELP!!.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its real easy. pull the tire off, then there is a fenderliner that has christmas tree clips holding it on, remove it, and bam! they are easy to get at, both sides. you need to go threw the fender to get them.

I have the 4.0 OHV, but it sounds like the same config--the EGR valve to exhaust tube is in the way. It's easy to pull the tube, though. Just two bolts on the EGR valve side and a large compression nut on the exhaust side.

And yes, lower the wheel well shroud as Vroom says. That gets you access to the compression nut.

Once I made my peace with pulling a few parts to make space, it got way easier to do the plugs. Now I can change them in 20-30 mins tops from start to finish, at a leisurely pace.

Spark plugs

Good advice. And if you use a standard wobble drive, you will have just the right size extension to get at all of the spark plugs on the passenger bank.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Back