• Register Today It's free!

HOW TO: Remove Rear Hatch Panel

TTG

Reaction score
City, State
Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
This is a guide on how I removed my rear hatch panel so everyone else doesn't have to search through countless threads with vague instructions on how to do it.

Step 1: Remove the plastic pins around the top pf the hatch. These should be the same color as your interior. To remove them you can either buy the actual tool to do it at any local car parts store, or just take a set of screwdrivers and pry.

Step 2: Remove 2 screws holding the pull strap in. It's that little thing that hangs off the panel when you open the hatch up. The 2 screws are directly under the strap's base.

Step 3: Pop out the plastic piece from the lock indicator. It just pops out with a little prying from your screwdriver.

Step 4: Remove a screw next to the lock indicator. It should be underneath where the plastic piece we just pried out was.

Step 5: Yank the panel off. To do this, pull it towards the front of the truck, and it shoulc just pop out. You may get all the front clips and need to force the rear clips forward by hand.

To replace it, just do the steps in reverse.

Taking your rear panel off is necessary if your rear hatch knob is sticky and doesn't turn well(my problem). It's also helpful if you wanted to add speakers back there or soemthing else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Once you got the hatch off what did you do to fix the sticky door handle? Mine has the same problem.

Jason

I sprayed PB Blaster on the little turny part. Mine was all rusty and so it was kinda a no brainer that was the problem. I was planning on putting some teflon grease in there, but its a cylinder piece with all the stuff inside it, so you can't really get much grease in to help. I suppose if it's really bad you could always replace that piece, not sure how you'd go about that or how much that'd run though.

What does this all mean? WD-40 and PB Blaster can solve most problems.

Rear Hatch Actuator

With the help of a member I got the rear hatch open and with addtional threads removed the panel. However , I cannot get the actuator out. I Have twisted and manipulated but the hook will not come out of the latch mechanism. I noticed there is a yellow piece of plastic that the hook goes through but I cannot remove that either. Anyone got a clue ?
Thanks to the members for getting me this far.

Bill

My Eddie Bauer hatch interior does not have pop-screws- How do I remove it?

I have a 1999 4dr Eddie Bauer and the rear hatch interior platinum panel does not have pop screws. I have tried prying around edge and we can't get it off - help

With the help of a member I got the rear hatch open and with addtional threads removed the panel. However , I cannot get the actuator out. I Have twisted and manipulated but the hook will not come out of the latch mechanism. I noticed there is a yellow piece of plastic that the hook goes through but I cannot remove that either. Anyone got a clue ?
Thanks to the members for getting me this far.

Bill

FYI: In order to remove the actuator you will need to remove the entire metal bracket it's attached to. The actuator has a hook on the end of it where it attaches to the mechanism. There is not enough room to unhook it with taking the bracket loose. PITA.

I have a 1999 4dr Eddie Bauer and the rear hatch interior platinum panel does not have pop screws. I have tried prying around edge and we can't get it off - help

You can see removal in this video...

Back