• Register Today It's free!

How To Remove Stock Grille...??

explorer1988

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I am just about ready to buy a billet grille for my 1997 XLT. I was fooling around earlier tonight with the stock grille, trying to remove it from the frame. I removed the front corner lights, and as many screws as I could, yet I still couldn't remove it completely. Does anybody have a few tips and/or pictures to help me with the process?

Last thing, for the install of the billet grille on the lower bumper, does that part need to be removed AS WELL, or can the install be done with it still in one piece?

Thanks everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If u got all the screws out, u should be able to pull the grille out. 2 bottom tabs stick in the header panel, u might need to just pull hard down there.
Bumper billet can b put in with the bumper on, just slide it in from behind the bumper.

It was 75% removed earlier, but seemed to still be snug on the bottom of the grille. I didn't know if there was screws and/or tabs on the inside of the bottom of the grille or what.

Have you had any experience replacing and installing an aftermarket grille? I have been searching the forums quite a bit, and haven't found much in detail for the generation of my X. Any suggestions?

there are some tabs on the bottom of the grill that you just pull out. then pop them back in when your ready to install kind of like the door panel.

I managed to remove it from the body earlier tonight, but doing so, the bottom clips you are talking about snapped off. I noticed when I re-installed the grille, that the bottom is loose. In snapping the clips off, is there anything to do to secure it better? Does it even matter if the bottom is a bit loose?

The bottom of mine is pretty loose. There's no difference really.

One last thing, once the aftermarket billet grille is installed, how do some of you guys open the hood? I just thought about that one while browing around of some X's with billet grilles. Is there enough room to get a finger in there?

Off topic, suggestions for caliper paint color on a white X? I am having ALOT of trouble choosing. Anything but red..as it is so common. :confused:

an extension should've came with the new grille. maybe if u got small fingers. i gotta use a long screwdriver cause my extension aint long enough. i read u could swap the latch from a newer x, 98 maybe

Back