• Register Today It's free!

How To Repair 2-3 Shift Flare

Smoke92

Reaction score
City, State
Montana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 AWD
Hey guys, I have the 2-3 shift flare problem on my 04 4.0 Ranger. When my Ranger shifts from 2nd to 3rd at wide open throttle I get a jump of about 500 rpm when it starts to shift and then it sort of thuds into 3rd gear. My trans works just fine other than this. I was wondering what the most common resolution to this problem is? I have heard it could be the EPC solenoid, a valve body problem, or maybe I just need a band adjustment? I just wondered what you have done to fix yours. I want to get an SCT Xcal 3 but I was thinking maybe I better get this taken care of first. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Well I sent Danny over at Central Valve Bodies an email. I looked at the stickys and did some searching here and on ranger-forums and It sounds like if I replace my valve body with one of his with all the upgrades it should fix my problem. I may do a band adjustment while im in there too. Let me know what you guys think.

I think you are on the right track. Central Valve Bodies has a good reputation on this board.

Back