• Register Today It's free!

How to replace fuel filter?

fobagbob

Reaction score
City, State
Clio, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 EB
32,000 miles on my 2003 Explorer and I want to change the fuel filter. I found the filter hidden behind a shield and I see that there are two styles of fittings. One looks like the type where a special tool is inserted around the tubing and into the fitting. The other two fittings look like there is some sort of red plastic keeper and I have no idea of what to do or what tool to use. Can anyone describe the tools and how they are used?
Thanks, Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site... As you may already now there is a lot of informatin here you just have to use the search feature and find it.. When you can't find something then create a thread like this and you'll get a bunch of help...
I'll get you starting by pointing you towards the Fuel Filter Removal thread... It has lots of good info and pics on using the fuel line disconnect tools. Post back hear and let us know if this was enough info and you were able to get the fuel filter replaced.

Thanks, the thread does a great job describing the disconnect toll required for one end of the filter. I still have a question regarding the two connections on the other end, they have some sort of red plastic keepers that appear to be inserted through the side of the fitting. It is not obvious how to remove them and I don't want to just start prying with a screwdriver! Anyone had any experience with these?
Thanks again

Here's how I did it.
Picked up the phone
Called my mechanic
He picked up it
Delivered it, and magically it was replaced. Reeeeaaaaaallllly neat.

how often do you need to replace it. I have 52,000 miles on my 02 X, When I bought it, it had 50,000 miles on it and do not know if it was changed when I bought it from the dealer.

Here is how the red clip works. When looking at it pull down the bottom piece. It just clips to the oppoite side of the clip and is hinged on the side towards the front of the explorer. Once it is unclipped, push up on both sides of the clip. The red clip will slide up and come out the top side of the fuel line. Once it is all the way up, pull the hose off the filter. Ensure all pressure is off the filter and do in a well ventilated area (like outside). I still had about 1/4 gallon of fuel come out of the hoses when I replaced mine.

Oh, and 15,000 for severe conmditions, 30,000 for normal driving....I am a severe kind of guy.

Wonder why they have different kinds of hose connections for each end of the filter? The pressure should be the same on one side as the other.

ffdemoss, thanks for the info on the red clips - good description, I will pick up a filter and changed it out.

02exploere04, I had an 00 Explorer and the filter was supposed to be changed at 30k. I was having injector clatter noise at start up and when I cahnged the filter at 35k the injector noise went away. Based on that experience, I am changing the filter on my 03 at the recommended 30k.

grumpy, good question, the different connections don't make sense and I also wonder why there are two connections on the inlet side -- maybe to relieve the pressure back to the tank if the filter gets plugged.

CaptainObvious, thanks for the reply, "obviously" the easy way is to call someone else to do the work for you. However, some of us enjoy working on our vehicles -- in fact I installed a lift in my garage and do all the maintenance and modifications on my vehicles that I can.

fobagbob said:
ffdemoss, thanks for the info on the red clips - good description, I will pick up a filter and changed it out.

02exploere04, I had an 00 Explorer and the filter was supposed to be changed at 30k. I was having injector clatter noise at start up and when I cahnged the filter at 35k the injector noise went away. Based on that experience, I am changing the filter on my 03 at the recommended 30k.

grumpy, good question, the different connections don't make sense and I also wonder why there are two connections on the inlet side -- maybe to relieve the pressure back to the tank if the filter gets plugged.

CaptainObvious, thanks for the reply, "obviously" the easy way is to call someone else to do the work for you. However, some of us enjoy working on our vehicles -- in fact I installed a lift in my garage and do all the maintenance and modifications on my vehicles that I can.
the funny part is, I enjoy it. I even built a nice heated garage with epoxy on the floor, tool chest, pull down reels. I just can't find the damn time.

An update on removing the fuel filter:

Got the tool for one end - no problem, got a Chilton manual with detailed procedures and pictures for the two clips on other end - no problem.

Thanks for the responses.

got my filter done today. took me forever.

is it possible to get the two lines on the left side reversed? It doesn't seem possible because the lines are completely diff. sizes. I just wasn't sure which one went where by time i got the new filter up, but each one went into the line i put it in and the car started and idles fine.

Fuel Filter bracket/02 exploroer

I replaced my fuel filter on the weekend everything worked fine except for the bracket that the fuel filter sits in. When I inserted the new fuel filter into the bracket and tried to position the bracket back into the original place the front fuel lines did not seem long enough unless I really forced the bracket into place. I was afraid that I would pull the fuel lines to hard which would result in a real mess. I worked the bracket several ways thinking I was not installing it correctly but it's pretty simple how it needs to go. Has anyone else had this issue? Or any suggestions?

Fuel Filter replacement

You can out the brackett on 180 out and that is what makes it to short. Just reverse the brackett with the two outlets on the passenger side and it will fit.:salute:Nick

Fuel Filter bracket/02 explorer

So basically your saying I just need to turn the bracket 180 degrees and it should fit?

Fuel Filter replacement

Yes if the bracket is turned the wrong way then it will make the hoses too short. Good luck Nick:salute:

Fuel Filter replacement

I had sold my 96 Exolrer and bought a 2002 ran into the same problem thats how I know.:salute:Nick

You should start the engine then pull the fuel pump relay (check the owner's manual, I think it is #48?). After the engine stops, try to restart once or twice. This will relieve the fuel pressure. A little fuel will still drip out when you disconnect the hoses, but usually only several ounces.

After you replace the fuel filter, put the relay back in and start it up. Check for leaks. You should be good to go.

I didn't relieve fuel pressure when I did mine. My hands smelled like moonshine (E85) for a while after I was done.
It didn't really spray out like some cars...It did a little, but I've worked on some (mostly GM) cars that will shoot fuel halfway across the shop when you pop the lines.

I didn't relieve fuel pressure when I did mine. My hands smelled like moonshine (E85) for a while after I was done.
It didn't really spray out like some cars...It did a little, but I've worked on some (mostly GM) cars that will shoot fuel halfway across the shop when you pop the lines.

That is probably because there isn't much fuel pressure kept in the system. Our fuel pumps are variable fuel pressure pumps. There is no pressure regualtor like on older rail fuel injection systems. It's also a reason why there is no shrader valve to check the pressure. You can check the pressure through the OBD II system if necessary.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back