Howling noise when turning/braking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Howling noise when turning/braking

rfs2005

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Base
Over the last few months, I have noticed that my Ex's brakes have been squealing and grinding. The sound is similar to worn pads grinding on the rotor. At 16,500 miles, that shouldn't be happening. I have cleaned and greased all of the pad sliders. The pads have plenty left on them, and the rotors are not gouged. In December, I took it into the dealership to have them check the brakes. They instead told me that the axle shaft was bad, specifically the center support bearing. It was replaced under warranty. They told me that they couldn't find anything wrong with the brakes.

Now, I have noticed that when driving at slower speeds (about 30mph or less), I hear a howling sound from the front end that gets worse when braking and when turning. It's not tire noise, as it sounds different than that.

Does anyone else experience this? I've been really busy lately and haven't had time to take the Ex back to the shop yet. I plan to in a couple of weeks, when I have more time.

...I plan to in a couple of weeks, when I have more time.

Getting your dealership to take a look is a great next step, rfs2005. Come back and tell us how your visit goes; I'll be here if you need my assistance. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Generally a worn outer CV joint would make a howling noise when turning and a worn inner CV joint will make a howling noise on brisk acceleration. A worn CV joint generally will not make noise just cruising down the road. As far as you're aware, has this truck ever had a damaged CV boot? Or in a front end collision? Have you checked your differential fluid? Just a few ideas. But as stated above, 16,500 on the OD? I'd be standing in front of the dealer.

Back