• Register Today It's free!

hub help

XLT FAN

Reaction score
City, State
DUB CITY, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer XLT
hello all. i have a 92 xlt, push button 4x4, auto hubs. what is all involved in switching from auto hubs to manual? i have access to a like new set of lockouts from a 94 for free and would like to change them over. the autos only seem to work when they want. ive had them apart and cleaned them very good 3 times and its still hit and miss. i know my shift motor, axles, u joints are all fine as i have lifted the x off the ground and everything runs as should with the hubs off,(both front axles turn under power) but with them on, only the front passanger axle spins. any links or info would be appriecated.

Sounds like the passenger side auto hub is toast. The drivers side locks, and the passenger side doesn't, so the path of least resistance is the passenger side axel, that's why it spins but the wheel won't (assuming that's the case).
There's plenty of threds on here for manual hub conversion. You need the conversion kit in addition to the hubs, but you should be able to pull them off that same 94 you got the hubs from. If not, take the hubs and but the kit.

thanx for the input. thats kind of what i figured. would you know if the hubs are the same on both sides? i mean is there a right and left side or dont it matter which one goes on which side? i looked at mine after cleaning them and they are stamped with 2 different numbers (part numbers possibly) just curious........ thanx again for the quick reply and info! GAWD I LOVE THIS SITE! LOL

Hubs are the same on both sides, interchangeable. But I would not bother messing with the auto hubs if you have a pair of manuals. Just go buy the locknut sets for the manuals.

Back