Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Half Shafts

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VA-Mach1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi everyone. My 2002 Explorer XLT 4X4 developed a hum in the rear. Just seemed to have started one day. I did not notice it getting louder. Don't think it's the wheel bearings. I have already been though bad rear wheel bearings. They hummed a lot louder and would get louder or quieter going around a left or right corner depending on which side was bad. The rear diff was rebuilt at the same time when the wheel bearings got replaced. This is a steady hum that starts at 25mph every time. Does not matter if I am on or off the throttle hums the same. Never replaced the half shafts and have 226K on it. Everything I read about half shafts say they clunk and bang. So I'm leaning toward the rear diff even though it was rebuilt.

Any thoughts?

Hi everyone. My 2002 Explorer XLT 4X4 developed a hum in the rear. Just seemed to have started one day. I did not notice it getting louder. Don't think it's the wheel bearings. I have already been though bad rear wheel bearings. They hummed a lot louder and would get louder or quieter going around a left or right corner depending on which side was bad. The rear diff was rebuilt at the same time when the wheel bearings got replaced. This is a steady hum that starts at 25mph every time. Does not matter if I am on or off the throttle hums the same. Never replaced the half shafts and have 226K on it. Everything I read about half shafts say they clunk and bang. So I'm leaning toward the rear diff even though it was rebuilt.

Any thoughts?

@VA-Mach1

Rebuilt how long ago? If very recently, improper ring and pinion tooth contact pattern. imp

Any thoughts?
Gotta put all 4 wheels in the air. Have a helper run it up to 30mph while you listen (stethoscope, big screwdriver, etc.). There's really no other way to diagnosis a "humming" sound.

I ended up pulling a rear carrier from the junk yard and switched it out. Took care of the problem.

Back