I did my Transmission Drain and fill today. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I did my Transmission Drain and fill today.

ghost-flame

Reaction score
City, State
doylestown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer LTD
80,000 miles, 2006 Limited
Changed engine oil and filter, MotoCraft 5-30
Changed Trans filter and fluid 14 qts of Pennzoil MercV. drain once refill with 7 qts, ran trans through gears, drained and filled, added 20 oz Lubegard Red... I swear by this stuff. (last drain and fill with filter 35,000.

Before: trans hesitated from a standing start, shifted late, passing gear was late to engage and was like mush
After: Crisp at start out, very torque-y, up-shifts are real positive, Passing gear kicks in when supposed to. Amazing. over-torqued one bolt on the pan and broke it, no leaks after 20 miles... will watch for leak.

I love the feeling of newly service power train:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Way to go!!

Any special tools needed for this? I know its kind of a dumb question, but I havent read the manual yet, where is the fill hole for the tranny? I was under it the other day doing the fuel filter and and looked around and couldn't find it.

Any special tools needed for this? I know its kind of a dumb question, but I havent read the manual yet, where is the fill hole for the tranny? I was under it the other day doing the fuel filter and and looked around and couldn't find it.

There are no Dumb questions brother!

Uou will drain the pan through the drain plug, that requires a Torx bit, buy an American set at Napa, sears, pep boys. The set should be no more than $15 or so.

Drain about 5 qts out of the pan, there will be about 1 qt in the lower part of the pan and about 1 qt in the filter.

Take down the pan by removing the 20 or so bolts holding the pan up. Reuse the bolts and gasket if your gasket is metal if not get a new gasket.

There are 2 bolts holding the filter in place, rm0ve them pull the filter down. Be ready for a gush of oil. Let it drain for 20 mins more.

Replace everything in reverse pump, 7 qts MERC5 into the pan through the drain plug.

run car. foot on brake, run through gears for about 10 minutes to mix old with new. turn of car.

drain and refill with 5 qts of Merc 5. remember 1 qt in lower pan and 1 qt in filter/torque converter that DOES NOT DRAIN OUT.
I do my drain and fill twice some do it up to 4 times.

2012-02-07073608.jpg

Pump from pep boys brass fittings from Hmedepot. The brass nipple that fits inside the torx plug drain hole is a 7/16 wrench. Take the plug to Home depot. Find the nipple then build the other brass fittings from there.

How much was the trans filter ? I have 130k on mine and I did 2 flashes so far at the dealer every 60k. No complaints with my tranny, but they did not replace the filter as they said the filter is inside the tranny and they would need to drop it ?????
I guess they BS me.

How much was the trans filter ? I have 130k on mine and I did 2 flashes so far at the dealer every 60k. No complaints with my tranny, but they did not replace the filter as they said the filter is inside the tranny and they would need to drop it ?????
I guess they BS me.

I bought my filter at Napa $40 bucks. Pep Boys had the same filter for like $31 but didn't have it in stock. somewhere between 30 to 40 bucks. The dealer is like $68;

I see you have 06 LTD, and I assume you got v8 - correct ?

Back