Did my transmission just bit the bullet? 2008 V6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Did my transmission just bit the bullet? 2008 V6

seth21

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
My wife was started to accelerate in our neighborhood and hears 'Ka plunk' (or whatever the noise was).

The car now doesn't move in any gear. Even in N, I can't push it to move.

Engine revs up on throttle like you would expect but it doesn't engage/move. Once the RPMs get to about 2-2.5K, the transmission wants to engage and it "lunged" forward but abruptly stopped. Drive, 1 and Reverse all seem to have the same issue.

Seems like something is bound up in there. I'm going to do the easy thing and check tranny fluid.

Want to ping you guys before I have a tow truck take this to a shop? Is this serious like it seems or could it be something simple.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear that, how many miles ?
Does not sound promising.....
Tourque converter ?
Maybe there are some tranny codes stored.

Sorry to hear that, how many miles ?
Does not sound promising.....
Tourque converter ?
Maybe there are some tranny codes stored.

115K Miles.
Not getting any check engine lights.

Did you check the brakes? I know that it might not be the issue but it's possible that the parking brake might have been engaged accidentally if it happened suddenly. Is the transmission throwing any trouble codes with a flashing O/D light?

Did you check the brakes? I know that it might not be the issue but it's possible that the parking brake might have been engaged accidentally if it happened suddenly. Is the transmission throwing any trouble codes with a flashing O/D light?

No codes.
It appears the brakes are off. I was actually able to just push it forward a bit. Its up hill so I can't push it far but then it rolled back to where I started and then stopped. It was an neutral so it shouldn't have stopped at a specific spot like it did.

We bought our 2007 with a blown tranny when it had 117k
No revers, 1st and second sounded like coffee grinder, 3,4 and 5 non existent
Unfortunately the low 100s are their average life expectancy with some guys reaching 200k, and some just 85 ......
And ours was one owner, woman driven to work only, serviced, the biggest load it had seen was a bike rack in the hitch.

My wife stopped at a red light and heard a clunk, it was the diff pin in the rearend had come loose and locked up the rear axle. The truck wouldn’t move, had to have it towed. Luckily didn’t happen while she was driving. If it feels like the trans is trying to move the car maybe it’s something with the axle? Maybe u can take out the drive shaft and push it or use the front axle to drive it home, that’s if the rear drive shaft bolts to the trans shaft and ain’t a slip yoke.

I had to try to move it again to get it out of the street and the tranny sounds like a hot mess.

Got a tow scheduled in the morning. I will post whatever the news is.

sounds alot like an exploded front/rear diff, anything the gets inside the ring pinion gears can jam it up easy test is to place it in N and jack up each wheel 1 at a time and spin the tire if something is wrong you'll hear it

I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is where I post a question about my 05 explorer problems

Back