I need help with this year's projects... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need help with this year's projects...

blackjoker

Reaction score
City, State
Beaufort, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT, AWD
Well, let me start by saying that I'm not really "new" to this site, but am a new member. I occasionally checked here for information regarding my Explorer. My ride is basically stock, with a few minor exceptions. I've got a 1999 Explorer XLT, 5.0L V8, AWD, with about 120,*** miles. This year I plan on completing some much needed repairs/updates.

About a year ago it was involved in a minor accident, impacting the front drivers side wheel, quarter panel and door. It was repaired, with the exception of the alignment, which is still way off. I took it to Goodyear shortly after the repair to get an alignment, and was told it needed new upper and lower control arms (not just ball joints) all around, and would total around $900+. I declined to repair, and have left it "un"aligned since (it's not driven much, just over 1000 miles since Jan. 2010). I am now financially able to complete these repairs, but plan on doing it myself. I've read a lot of the threads on here and other sources too, and it all looks fairly simple. I just have a few questions.

Since they claim I needed all new control arms, should I replace all the control arms, upper control arms & lower ball joints, or just ball joints? I've seen many demonstrations on replacing the upper control arm, and none for the lower, but I have seen the lower ball joints replaced. The uppers appeared easy, and by looking, the lowers appear to be a bit more difficult, but not impossible.

Also, while I'm in that area, I planned on replacing all of my shocks. Which leads to my next question, which shocks? I've looked at a few, Bilstein (heavy duty), Edlebrock (extreme's), or Monroe-snsa trac (are the load adjustables only for rear?). Basically I want the best possible, simple replacement, I don't want any modification like airbags or anything. I mainly use my Explorer for it's "utilitarian" purpose, pulling my boat occasionally, and large loads that we can't fit in a car.

I plan on completing these repairs immediately, as in, I'll be ordering the parts as soon as my qusetions are clarified. In the not so near future I plan on replacing the tires, I would like some nice on/off road all terrain's to fit factory wheels. Something with a nice gripping tread in case I do go a little off road, any suggestions/recommendations? I know it's a lot all at once, but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joel

welcome joel

Back