I need help with the check engine light. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need help with the check engine light.

Gonzo72

Reaction score
City, State
Guayama, Puerto Rico
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 4x4
Hy..
I have a 1997 Explorer XLT. And recently the check engine light is on at all time. I already replace the pcv valve and the EGR and nothin. I just gat a OBDII Scanner and is telling me that is running to lean in both bank 1 and 2.
I jus bouth the O2 sensors. I hope that is the problem.
If anybody have any idea pleace let me know.
Something new, Sometimes the vehicle crank but not start for a moment and the other day I try to start the engine and nothing just cranking and that's all.

For the running lean problem, is may not be the sensors. The sensors are only telling you that you're running lean. If you are truly running lean, the Check Engine Light will come back and tell you again, because something else is causing too much air to mix with the fuel (vacuum leak maybe?).

For the no-start - make sure you hear the fuel pump kick in when you turn the key to "on" (without starting) - you'll hear a short (2-3 second) hum coming from the driver side rear if the fuel pump is on.

I had that same problem with my 00 XLT. On cold mornings it would run rough in the mornings and the check engine light would light up with those same error codes. It was remedied by doing the 00M12 recall. It replaces the intake o-rings. Now running very smooth. Ford extended the warranty an additional 36 months and 36000 miles. Good luck.

Back