• Register Today It's free!

I need more power from my V6!

FordMANIAC1234

Reaction score
City, State
York,Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT Control Trac 4WD
I have a 96 Explorer XLT 4.0 OHV and it has some decent power, but nothing to get wooed by. I was at explorer express looking for a suspension or a supercharger but to no luck did i find one for the 4.0 ohv. I found an intake, but nothin big I just dont know wut i wanna do to it. I just took off the old Wrangler RT/S tires cus they were horrible in the rain due to no water escape lines on the tire. So i just got some Futura Dakota H/T's and some new monroe Reflex shocks for it. I still dont kno wut to do....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

V8 swap. :p

other than that, search around. People have done some stuff, I think Aldive has done the most. Be prepared to spend some money. Good luck.

best thing to do is trade it for a 97 or up 4.0 SOHC. The SOHC has more power.It would cost you thousands of dollars to make the OHV equal to it. I had an OHV and traded for a SOHC. Very pleased with the trade.

for the OHV yuo can go cheap or the expensive route. The cheap route is a drilled air box(swiss cheese) plugs wires, throttle cable mod and then a cat back exaust. The expensive route: a chip, plugs, wires, intake, exaust, throttle cable mod, turbo charger(not sure if you can do it on a OHV). Thats all i can think of right now....but if you want power buy a sports car.

Intake
Exhaust
Chip / tuner

Those three have the best bang for the buck

Back