I need some help with a Central Security Module question, please. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need some help with a Central Security Module question, please.

Reaction score
City, State
`Caneyville kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLS
I have a 2002 XLS 4 door. We went shopping the other day and I locked the doors using the driver side power door lock button. When we came back out I unlocked the driverside front door with the key and hit the button to unlock the other doors but no luck. I noticed none of the interior dome lights were working when the doors were open but would work if turned on at the dash. My first thought was a blown fuse but didn't find anything wrong there. I've searched on here and found all the threads about the broke wires at and in the doors but that proved fruitless. Now I've come to the conclusion it must be the CSM . I checked all lock buttons/switches and they are getting power at the switches and when the switch is activated the power goes off, so I'm thinking that's correct and the relays at the csm aren't working. My question is, if I buy a used module, will it still need to be programmed by a dealer? I'm at my wits end here!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What did you find out?

Call a dealer or locksmith, see what they say.

Went to a junk yard today and got a module for $10, plugged it in and all is well now. No need for re-programming, so if anyone else has this problem in the future try getting a used csm.

IF ANYONE WAS WONDERING ON THE LOCATION. , I took my whole car apart just to find this dam computer that nobody anywhere tells where it is , for a 2002 XLT it's behind the passenger side trim panel , right above the wheel well , it is a 3 connector blue gray green

Back