Need some help with a 1992 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need some help with a 1992 explorer

drebbe

Reaction score
I have a friend's car I'm trying to help fix up and I'm completely lost when it comes to Ford in general. We have no history on this vehicle and have only been told it was recently rebuilt (engine & trans).

Here are the issues:
-Fuel gauge doesn't work (Slowly drops to E from F on power on)
-Oil Pressure Sensor doesn't work (wires are cut at sensor and autozone didn't have a wiring diagram of where these wires goto)
-Rear antilock light is on.
-Transfer case doesn't work, switches do nothing (I can confirm at least one wire in the harness has power leading to the switches though).
-Transmission when in OD only on acceleration (moving 20mph+) hits the rev limiter. Doesn't happen in D.
-After the truck has been sitting after running (1minute to an hour) the truck doesn't want to run (IAC sensor if this truck has one?). I was going to look into the throttle body area and pcv valve for clues on this one.
-I noticed the exhaust doesn't smell very good (smells like burning oil, but the level doesn't seem to be dropping). I'm running 5w-30 was wondering maybe going to a thicker weight oil might help.

Thanks in advance, and BTW this vehicle is not worth putting a lot of money into, so I'm only going to be doing quick/cheap/easy repairs.

Ok, I looked at the PCV valve, looks ok. Cleaned out the IAC and the throttlebody (I can't believe the truck was running). Truck idles at 900-1000 RPM now and seems to be a little better.

I took it to a small shop and got them to lift it up and look at the exhaust system (it has a leak). The flange or connector piece going to the exhaust manifold to y-pipe is completely rusted away and he told me those only come with the y-pipe and it would be like 200-400 dollars. I want to try fixing the exhaust because its leaking out of both sides (one more then the other) and see if that fixes anything. I'm hoping I can find a new y-pipe/connector for cheap.

I found this on rockauto:
FEL-PRO Part # 60796
OHV engine; Inlet pipe to converter
getimage.php

would this be the part I need?

I say junk yard for the exaust on the cheap. The oil pressure sensor is one wire with a stud clamp style of connector end. The fuel gauge problem is the in-tank sender unit. They go bad alot. My 90 Ranger did the same thing. The sender unit is 100 bucks at Napa. The intank pump is also 100 bucks. Kinda rediculous if you ask me. But I would replace both at the same time since your in there. Fords are super easy to work on. IMO.
Good luck

Back